MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin was swept in its opening match of the day 3-0 (25-21, 25-17, 25-23) against UW-Stout before holding on for a hard-fought 3-2 (25-22, 25-18, 25-27, 23-25, 15-12) win against UW-Stout during the first day of the CUW Volleyball Invitational inside the R. John Buuck Field House.
Final Scores: UW-Oshkosh 3, Concordia Wisconsin 0 (25-21, 25-17, 25-23); Concordia Wisconsin 3, UW-Stout 2 (25-22, 25-18, 25-27, 23-25, 15-12)
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 16-7, UW-Stout 13-12, UW-Oshkosh 14-12
HOW IT HAPPENED
UW-Oshkosh 3, Concordia Wisconsin 0
- Concordia Wisconsin struggled against UW-Oshkosh's bigger middles and hit just .071 for the match, its lowest percentage of the season. The Falcons had seven players with at least three kills and junior Megan Mayer (Downers Grove, Ill.) led the team with seven.
- The Falcons jumped out to a 10-5 lead in the opening stages of the first set before the Titans responded and led 18-15 a while later. The visitors took the first set 25-21.
- It was all UW-Oshkosh to start the second set, as they led 14-1 and never looked back en route to a 25-17 victory to lead 2-0 in the match.
- Concordia Wisconsin charged out of the gates in the third stanza, leading 11-4 and 20-15, but UW-Oshkosh regrouped and ended with a 10-3 scoring run to earn a sweeping victory.
- Senior Mackenzie Wockenfus (Appleton, Wis.) had 18 assists and nine digs, while freshman Madelyn Alton (Custer Park, Ill.) had 11 digs. Junior Kendall Stribling (Greenfield, Wis.) served a pair of aces.
- Tin Elstner had a match-best 11 kills, to go along with seven digs, two solo blocks and two block assists.
- Rebecca Doughty had 15 assists and seven digs, while Carly Lemke and Samantha Jaeke tallied six and five block assists, respectively.
Concordia Wisconsin 3, UW-Stout 2
- The Falcons led 2-0 in the match and needed a deciding fifth set to pull out a victory against the Blue Devils. They had four players with double-digit kills, 14 block assists and hit over .222 in four of the five sets.
- Concordia Wisconsin built leads of eight points in the opening set and seven in the second, which gave them set winning momentum to go ahead 2-0.
- UW-Stout overcame a 21-17 deficit in the third frame with a 10-4 scoring run to take a 27-25 win. They did the same in the fourth by using a 6-2 scoring run to win the set and tie the match at 2-2.
- The Falcons built a 14-7 lead and held on for a 15-12 deciding set win to clinch the victory.
- Junior Holly Anderson (Grant Park, Ill.) led the Falcons with 17 kills and Mayer posted 15 kills, 14 digs and three block assists.
- Stribling tallied seven kills, four service aces and five blocks. Wockenfus recorded 34 assists and 20 digs.
- UW-Stout's Amber Ripley ended with a match-best 20 kills, while also having two service aces, 19 digs and two block assists. Jessica Duval had 44 assists and 13 digs. Steph Cannon had 37 digs.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts Millikin (11 am) and No. 15 Illinois Wesleyan (3 pm) on Saturday to finish a busy four-match weekend.
March 14, 2019 Women’s Volleyball growing the game in the inner-city
November 21, 2018 The power of three
November 15, 2018 Schultz earns AVCA All-Midwest Honorable Mention
November 5, 2018 Trio of Falcons recognized in NACC postseason awards
November 3, 2018 Women’s Volleyball stunned in NACC Tournament Championship
November 1, 2018 Falcons sweep Stars, advance to NACC Tournament title match
October 28, 2018 No. 18 UW-Whitewater tops Women’s Volleyball
October 24, 2018 Falcons lock up No. 2 seed on Senior Day
October 20, 2018 Falcons Bounce Big Blue in CUW Volleyball Invite Finale
October 19, 2018 Falcons split matches at home to UW-Oshkosh, UW-Stout
October 16, 2018 Falcon Focus Podcast (October 16, 2018)
October 16, 2018 Women’s Volleyball clinches NACC Tournament berth
October 13, 2018 Women’s Volleyball drops NACC contest at Aurora
October 12, 2018 Women’s Volleyball's 32-match NACC winning streak snapped
October 6, 2018 Falcons top Stars in Conference Matchup
October 5, 2018 Falcons shut down Scarlet Hawks
October 2, 2018 Depth important in Women’s Volleyball victory
September 29, 2018 Volleyball drops pair of difficult non-conference matches
September 28, 2018 Women’s Volleyball sweeps Alverno
September 26, 2018 Falcons regroup in victory at Concordia Chicago
September 22, 2018 Women's Volleyball sweeps MSOE in home opener
September 18, 2018 Falcon Focus Podcast (September 18, 2018)
September 18, 2018 Mayer tagged with NACC Volleyball Athlete of the Week honors
September 18, 2018 Falcons soar past Eagles in NACC matchup
September 15, 2018 Falcons making a statement
September 14, 2018 Falcons offense comes alive during non-conference victory
September 12, 2018 Women’s Volleyball tested in NACC opener at Lakeland
September 8, 2018 Volleyball drops pair of five-set matches
September 7, 2018 Women's Volleyball opens Pointer Invitational with win over host UWSP
September 1, 2018 Women’s Volleyball captures third-straight CIT title
August 17, 2018 Women's Volleyball receiving votes in AVCA Top-25 preseason poll