LISLE, Ill. – All good things come to an end at some point and Benedictine's 3-2 (25-21, 23-25, 25-23, 25-27, 15-13) victory on Friday night snapped a 32-match NACC winning streak for Concordia Wisconsin inside the Rice Center.
Final Score: Benedictine 3, Concordia Wisconsin 2 (25-21, 23-25, 25-23, 25-27, 15-13)
Location: Rice Center (Lisle, Ill.)
Records: Benedictine 12-8, 4-3 NACC; Concordia Wisconsin 14-5, 8-1 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin wasn't as consistent as it had been in previous league matches and as a result, Benedictine took a five-set match to end a winning streak that stretched a week shy of three years on the calendar.
- The Falcons hit .200 for the match, compared to the Eagles .229 at the net. In addition, they struggled at the service line, with 19 errors, while the hosts also served eight aces.
- Concordia Wisconsin had the opening set tied 18-18 prior to Benedictine scoring three in a row and ending with a 4-2 scoring run to win 25-21.
- Kills on the last three points by the Falcons allowed them to earn a 25-23 second set win and knot the match on the scoreboard.
- Benedictine hit just .143 in the third stanza, but it didn't matter because the visitors had its worst offensive performance during a set with a .026 attack percentage, thus resulting in a 25-23 win for the Eagles.
- Trailing 24-22, the Falcons clawed their way back by putting together a 5-1 scoring run to push the match into a deciding fifth set. Of the five points scored, two points came from Eagles errors.
- Concordia Wisconsin worked its way back from a 13-9 deficit and had the match at 14-13, but a Benedictine kill ended the contest.
- Senior Amanda Schultz (North Prairie, Wis.) and freshman Sophia Collins (Lake Mills, Wis.) each had 13 kills for Concordia Wisconsin, while Junior Holly Anderson (Grant Park, Ill.) tallied 11 kills.
- Senior Haley Sedo (Neenah, Wis.) accumulated 32 assists and 18 digs. Senior Mackenzie Wockenfus (Appleton, Wis.) recorded 22 assists, nine digs and three service aces.
- Juniors Kelsey Kleba (Hartland, Wis.) and Kendall Stribling (Greenfield, Wis.) each had four block assists.
- Taylor Dunwell led all players with 25 kills and 20 digs. Molly Stock added 15 kills, while Alyssa O'Boyle had 55 assists, 13 digs and six service aces.
- During the 32-match NACC winning streak, the Falcons won 23 by sweep.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels for a Saturday 1 pm matchup at Aurora, which is a matchup of the top two teams in the NACC Preseason Poll.
July 24, 2019 Women's Volleyball receives AVCA team academic award
March 14, 2019 Women’s Volleyball growing the game in the inner-city
November 21, 2018 The power of three
November 15, 2018 Schultz earns AVCA All-Midwest Honorable Mention
November 5, 2018 Trio of Falcons recognized in NACC postseason awards
November 3, 2018 Women’s Volleyball stunned in NACC Tournament Championship
November 1, 2018 Falcons sweep Stars, advance to NACC Tournament title match
October 28, 2018 No. 18 UW-Whitewater tops Women’s Volleyball
October 24, 2018 Falcons lock up No. 2 seed on Senior Day
October 20, 2018 Falcons Bounce Big Blue in CUW Volleyball Invite Finale
October 19, 2018 Falcons split matches at home to UW-Oshkosh, UW-Stout
October 16, 2018 Falcon Focus Podcast (October 16, 2018)
October 16, 2018 Women’s Volleyball clinches NACC Tournament berth
October 13, 2018 Women’s Volleyball drops NACC contest at Aurora
October 12, 2018 Women’s Volleyball's 32-match NACC winning streak snapped
October 6, 2018 Falcons top Stars in Conference Matchup
October 5, 2018 Falcons shut down Scarlet Hawks
October 2, 2018 Depth important in Women’s Volleyball victory
September 29, 2018 Volleyball drops pair of difficult non-conference matches
September 28, 2018 Women’s Volleyball sweeps Alverno
September 26, 2018 Falcons regroup in victory at Concordia Chicago
September 22, 2018 Women's Volleyball sweeps MSOE in home opener
September 18, 2018 Falcon Focus Podcast (September 18, 2018)
September 18, 2018 Mayer tagged with NACC Volleyball Athlete of the Week honors
September 18, 2018 Falcons soar past Eagles in NACC matchup
September 15, 2018 Falcons making a statement
September 14, 2018 Falcons offense comes alive during non-conference victory
September 12, 2018 Women’s Volleyball tested in NACC opener at Lakeland
September 8, 2018 Volleyball drops pair of five-set matches
September 7, 2018 Women's Volleyball opens Pointer Invitational with win over host UWSP
September 1, 2018 Women’s Volleyball captures third-straight CIT title
August 17, 2018 Women's Volleyball receiving votes in AVCA Top-25 preseason poll