MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia University Wisconsin Women's Volleyball team took on Dominican University inside the R. John Buuck Field House on Saturday afternoon. The Falcons came away with a thrilling 3-1 victory to capture another conference win and stay undefeated in the NACC.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Dominican Stars 1 (25-17, 22-25, 25-22, 25-22)
Location: R. John Buuck Filed House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 14-4 (8-0 NACC); Dominican Stars
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin fell behind the energized Dominican Stars 9-3, but the Falcons rallied back with big kills from Junior Megan Mayer (Downers Grove, Ill.) and Junior Kendall Stribling (Greenfield, Wis.) to catapult the host back on top by the score of 17-14. CUW never looked back, going on an 8-3 run to close out the first set 25-17.
- Set number two saw even more drama, as the DU Stars were able to come away with a big set win to tie the match up at one set apiece. The second set came down to the final five points, as both teams were trying to claw their way to victory. The Falcons gained momentum after a Junior Holly Anderson (Grant Park, Ill.) kill and a bump kill by Junior Ariana Richmond (South Elgin, Ill.) to bring Concordia Wisconsin within one at 23-22 in favor of Dominican. The Star, however, were able to halt the comeback and secure the 25-22 set victory.
- The Falcons took control of the rest of the match, as sets three and four fell to Concordia Wisconsin by the score of 25-22 in both sets. Stribling and Sophia Collins were able to close out the third set with a block at the net and Freshman Madelyn Alton (Custer Park, Ill.) was able to close out the fourth set by giving the Stars problems through multiple game-clinching serves.
- Mayer finished with a team-high 14 kills, while Amanda Schultz (North Prairie, Wis.) finished with 11 kills and two blocks. The Falcons hit .174 for the match.
Beyond the Box Score
- The Falcons have taken three of the past four contest from the Stars. The series is now owned by Concordia Wisconsin, as they have 10 wins and nine losses to Dominican dating back to 2001-2002.
- CUW will take on Benedictine on Friday with the opening serve scheduled for 7:00 pm.