MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin started slow in the first set, but recovered and went on to earn a 3-0 (25-22, 25-15, 25-19) sweep over Illinois Tech on Friday evening during NACC play inside the R. John Buuck Field House.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Illinois Tech 0 (25-22, 25-15, 25-19)
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 13-4, 7-0 NACC; Illinois Tech 3-12, 1-5 NACC
QUOTING MEGAN MAYER
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a 30 minute delay because traffic, the Falcons started slowly as they have done in at times this season against the Scarlet Hawks. Facing a 21-14 deficit, Illinois Tech clawed its way back into the first set and got to within a point, 23-22, which forced a Concordia Wisconsin timeout. The hosts received a point on a service error and then senior Amanda Schultz (North Prairie, Wis.) slammed the door shut with a kill.
- The second set was never in question, as the Falcons led 5-0, 10-3 and 17-6 before eventually winning 25-15 to take a 2-0 lead in the match.
- The hosts – one of three remaining undefeated teams in the NACC – had to play smart and use their experience in the final stanza, as the Scarlet Hawks had the match tied at 18-18 on the scoreboard. A pivotal 7-1 scoring run from then on allowed Concordia Wisconsin to win its fifth match of the season by sweep.
- Junior Megan Mayer (Downers Grove, Ill.) led all players with 10 kills and 14 digs, to go along with two service aces. Junior Holly Anderson (Grant Park, Ill.) added eight kills and Schultz finished with seven. Seniors Haley Sedo (Neenah, Wis.) and Mackenzie Wockenfus (Appleton, Wis.) had 16 and 10 assists, respectively.
- Taylor Burton and Lean van der Sanden each had six kills to lead the Scarlet Hawks. Courtney Darling finished with 10 assists and 10 digs.
- The Falcons victory was the 31st in a row against a NACC foe dating back nearly three seasons.
- Concordia Wisconsin had seven service aces and has accumulated at least that many in 10 of the 17 matches this season.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin hosts Dominican on Saturday at 12 pm in a NACC contest.