KENOSHA, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin is surely making a case climb into the national spotlight after a pair of impressive victories on Saturday over Chicago 3-1 (22-25,25-20,25-19,25-20) and No. 19 Carthage 1 (26-24,25-15,19-25,25-17) inside Tarble Arena.
Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Chicago 1 (22-25,25-20,25-19,25-20); Concordia Wisconsin 3, Carthage 1 (26-24,25-15,19-25,25-17)
Location: Tarble Arena (Kenosha, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 7-2, Carthage 7-6, Chicago 11-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
Concordia Wisconsin 3, Chicago 1
- Chicago who is receiving votes and is essentially the 26th-ranked team in the nation, couldn't slow down Concordia Wisconsin's offense that has been firing on all cylinders recently. The teams split the first two sets before the Falcons controlled sets three and four.
- As the match progressed, Concordia Wisconsin's offensive attack grew stronger and went from a .143 hitting percentage in the first set to a .367 to close out the victory.
- While the offense has been making headlines, the defense has quietly been performing well with 8.0 total blocks, led by junior Kelsey Kleba (Hartland, Wis.) who had four block assists.
- Junior Megan Mayer (Downers Grove, Ill.) led all players with 16 kills and a .343 attack percentage, to go along with 17 digs and three service aces. Senior Amanda Schultz (North Prairie, Wis.) had 12 kills and freshman Olivia Richter (Naperville, Ill.) added 10 kills.
- Senior Haley Sedo (Neenah, Wis.) tallied 28 assists and two services aces, and senior Mackenzie Wockenfus (Appleton, Wis.) recorded 19 assists, four service aces and eight digs.
- Defensively, junior Ariana Richmond (South Elgin, Ill.) dug 14 attack attempts and freshman Madelyn Alton (Custer Park, Ill.) had 10 digs.
Concordia Wisconsin 3, Carthage 1
- The momentum surely didn't slow down in the afternoon match during the first victory over a ranked team by the Falcons since defeating ninth-ranked UW-Whitewater 3-2 late last season. The win also avenges a loss to Carthage, which ended Concordia Wisconsin's season in the NCAA Tournament last year.
- The Falcons hit .235 as a team and Mayer recorded 18 more kills to earn all-tournament team honors. Schultz also was tagged with all-tournament accolades after adding 14 kills on a .351 attack percentage.
- Sedo posted a double-double with 25 assists and 11 digs; while Mayer also had four service aces, 18 digs and three block assists.
- The Falcons have hit .228 or better over the last three matches and recorded 26 service aces at the three-match Carthage tournament.
- In each of the last five matches, Concordia Wisconsin has had three players record double-digit kill totals.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin returns to the court on Tuesday for a NACC contest at Edgewood at 7 pm.
July 24, 2019 Women's Volleyball receives AVCA team academic award
March 14, 2019 Women’s Volleyball growing the game in the inner-city
November 21, 2018 The power of three
November 15, 2018 Schultz earns AVCA All-Midwest Honorable Mention
November 5, 2018 Trio of Falcons recognized in NACC postseason awards
November 3, 2018 Women’s Volleyball stunned in NACC Tournament Championship
November 1, 2018 Falcons sweep Stars, advance to NACC Tournament title match
October 28, 2018 No. 18 UW-Whitewater tops Women’s Volleyball
October 24, 2018 Falcons lock up No. 2 seed on Senior Day
October 20, 2018 Falcons Bounce Big Blue in CUW Volleyball Invite Finale
October 19, 2018 Falcons split matches at home to UW-Oshkosh, UW-Stout
October 16, 2018 Falcon Focus Podcast (October 16, 2018)
October 16, 2018 Women’s Volleyball clinches NACC Tournament berth
October 13, 2018 Women’s Volleyball drops NACC contest at Aurora
October 12, 2018 Women’s Volleyball's 32-match NACC winning streak snapped
October 6, 2018 Falcons top Stars in Conference Matchup
October 5, 2018 Falcons shut down Scarlet Hawks
October 2, 2018 Depth important in Women’s Volleyball victory
September 29, 2018 Volleyball drops pair of difficult non-conference matches
September 28, 2018 Women’s Volleyball sweeps Alverno
September 26, 2018 Falcons regroup in victory at Concordia Chicago
September 22, 2018 Women's Volleyball sweeps MSOE in home opener
September 18, 2018 Falcon Focus Podcast (September 18, 2018)
September 18, 2018 Mayer tagged with NACC Volleyball Athlete of the Week honors
September 18, 2018 Falcons soar past Eagles in NACC matchup
September 15, 2018 Falcons making a statement
September 14, 2018 Falcons offense comes alive during non-conference victory
September 12, 2018 Women’s Volleyball tested in NACC opener at Lakeland
September 8, 2018 Volleyball drops pair of five-set matches
September 7, 2018 Women's Volleyball opens Pointer Invitational with win over host UWSP
September 1, 2018 Women’s Volleyball captures third-straight CIT title
August 17, 2018 Women's Volleyball receiving votes in AVCA Top-25 preseason poll