PLYMOUTH, Wis. – The two-time defending NACC champions were tested in the league opener for both programs, but it was Concordia Wisconsin that pulled away with a difficult 3-2 (24-26, 25-16, 26-24, 23-25, 18-16) victory at Lakeland.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Lakeland 2 (24-26, 25-16, 26-24, 23-25, 18-16)
Location: Woltzen Gymnasium (Plymouth, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 4-2, 1-0 NACC; Lakeland 5-4, 0-1 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- There was just one set that wasn't as exciting as the rest, because four of the five frames played on Wednesday evening either needed extra points or were extended as far as possible.
- The Falcons nearly won the opening set, after having set point, 24-23, but the Muskies smashed back-to-back kills and took advantage of an attacking error to go in front early.
- Concordia Wisconsin took the second frame easily, 25-16, and won the third set after staving off a Lakeland 4-0 scoring run to tie things at 24-24. A kill by Amanda Schultz and Kelsey Kleba ended any chance of momentum-shifting alteration in the match.
- Again, the Muskies played well late in a set, using three unanswered points to overcome a 23-22 deficit and win 25-23 to knot the scoreboard at two sets apiece.
- As was the case all night, a back and forth battle was almost expected in the deciding stanza. Facing match point, the Falcons' Holly Anderson smashed a kill and the team capitalized on a pair of Muskies errors to claim the league victory.
- Anderson (junior, Grant Park, Ill.) led all players with 14 kills, while senior Amanda Schultz (North Prairie, Wis.) added 13 kills and four block assists.
- Junior Kelsey Kleba (Hartland, Wis.) smashed 10 kills of her own and senior Mackenzie Wockenfus (Appleton, Wis.) dished out a match-best 30 assists and recorded a double-double with 13 digs. Senior Haley Sedo (Neenah, Wis.) recorded 24 assists, seven digs and a career-high six service aces.
- Junior Arianna Richmond (South Elgin, Ill.) had a match-best 27 digs.
- Concordia Wisconsin hit .175 (64K-30E-194A) compared to Lakeland's .149 (53K-25E-188A) hitting percentage.
- The Falcons won their fifth-consecutive NACC opener.
- Shannon Bishop recorded 18 kills to pace the Muskies offense, while Shelby Welsh had 12 kills, 16 digs and two block assists.
- Davan Fleming and Neenah Primas combined for 46 assists. Emma Brunder and Brianna Johnson ended with 21 and 20 digs, respectively.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Kenosha, Wisconsin for non-conference matches against St. Mary's (Friday at 6 pm), Chicago (Saturday at 12 pm) and host Carthage (4 pm) as part of a tournament.
September 22, 2018 Women's Volleyball sweeps MSOE in home opener
September 18, 2018 Falcon Focus Podcast (September 18, 2018)
September 18, 2018 Mayer tagged with NACC Volleyball Athlete of the Week honors
September 18, 2018 Falcons soar past Eagles in NACC matchup
September 15, 2018 Falcons making a statement
September 14, 2018 Falcons offense comes alive during non-conference victory
September 12, 2018 Women’s Volleyball tested in NACC opener at Lakeland
September 8, 2018 Volleyball drops pair of five-set matches
September 7, 2018 Women's Volleyball opens Pointer Invitational with win over host UWSP
September 1, 2018 Women’s Volleyball captures third-straight CIT title
August 17, 2018 Women's Volleyball receiving votes in AVCA Top-25 preseason poll