STEVENS POINT, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin pushed the opposition to a pair of difficult five-set matches, but ultimately weren't able to pull out a victory falling 3-2 to Bethel and Saint Mary's inside Quandt Fieldhouse.
Final Scores: Bethel 3, Concordia Wisconsin 2 (23-25,26-24,25-22,20-25,15-12); Saint Mary's 3, Concordia Wisconsin 2 (25-15,17-25,25-20,21-25,15-13)
Location: Quandt Fieldhouse (Stevens Point, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 3-2, Bethel 6-1, Saint Mary's 6-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
Bethel 3, Concordia Wisconsin 2
- A total of 28 scoring ties and 10 lead changes excited those in attendance as a combined 217 points were scored in the never-ending non-conference matchup. In each of the first four sets, each team scored at least 20 points.
- Neither team led by more than five points throughout the match and 15 timeouts were used to give the coaches an opportunity to plan the Xs and Os for their respective squads.
- The trio of Amanda Schultz (senior, North Prairie, Wis.), Mayer and Holly Anderson (Grant Park, Ill.) combined for 46 of the teams 62 kills in the loss.
- Senior Mackenzie Wockenfus (Appleton, Wis.) ended with 25 assists and Mayer completed a double-double with 19 digs to go along with a career-high five service aces.
Saint Mary's 3, Concordia Wisconsin 2
- Sets were traded to extend the contest to a deciding fifth set and Concordia Wisconsin led 8-6 midway through. However, Saint Mary's responded by scoring three consecutive points to make it exciting. With the scoreboard knotted at 11-11, the Cardinal had back-to-back points to take the momentum and eventually win.
- Mayer (junior, Downers Grove, Ill.) smashed a match-best 20 kills and dug 11 attack attempts, while also serving three aces.
- Wockenfus tallied 29 assists, while junior Ariana Richmond (South Elgin, Ill.) had 19 digs for a total of 44 in the two matches combined.
- Mayer was named to the UW-Stevens Point Invitational All-Tournament team for her three-match effort.
- During the three matches of the tournament, the Falcons had 21 service aces and hit .229 as a team. They also had three players with 30-plus digs.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Lakeland on Wednesday for a 7 pm match to begin NACC play.