STEVENS POINT, Wis. – Three different Concordia University Wisconsin Volleyball players recorded double-digit kills as the Falcons opened the Pointer Invitational with a win over host UW-Stevens Point Friday night, 3-1. The Falcons hit .273 as a team in an exciting match which saw the clinching set go to a 30-28 score. The Falcons won the first two sets 25-22, 25-22, before falling in the third, 20-25.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, UW-Stevens Point 1
- Location: Berg Gymnasium – Stevens Point, Wisconsin
- Records: CUW 3-0; UWSP 3-4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Megan Mayer, Holly Anderson, and Amanda Schultz each finished with double-digit kills in a balanced attack for the Falcons. Mayer (Downers Grove, Ill.) and Anderson (Grant Park, Ill.) tallied 12 kills each while Schultz (North Prairie, Wis.) added 10. All three players hit over .300 for the match while Mayer also led the team with 21 digs, posting a double-double.
- The Falcons had four others add double-digit dig totals in the non-conference win. Setters Haley Sedo (Neenah, Wis.) and Mackenzie Wockenfus (Appleton, Wis.) each posted double-doubles in the win. Sedo dished out 34 assists and tallied 15 digs while Wockenfus added 19 assists and 13 digs. Madelyn Alton (Custer Park, Ill.) and Ariana Richmond (South Elgin, Ill.) added 14 and 12 digs, respectively.
- The match started with the Falcons taking a 25-22 set and CUW repeated that feat in the second set. The Falcons hit a match-best .317 in the second set and finished the night by posting a .306 attack percentage in the thrilling fourth-set victory (30-28).
- The Falcons had a good night blocking as well, finishing the contest with seven blocks. Schultz posted five block assists in the win while Kendall Stribling (Greenfield, Wis.) assisted on four.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons are off to a 3-0 start for the third straight season. Last year, CUW won four-straight to begin the year and in 2016 the Falcons posted five straight victories.
- CUW has won two straight matches over the Pointers after dropping six-straight in the series before that. The Falcons swept UW-Stevens Point in a home match last season (October 4).
- CUW will play two more at the Pointer Invitational tomorrow. The Falcons will open with Bethel, a team receiving votes in the latest AVCA poll, at 10 a.m. before closing the tournament with a match against St. Mary's at 2 p.m.
September 22, 2018 Women's Volleyball sweeps MSOE in home opener
September 18, 2018 Falcon Focus Podcast (September 18, 2018)
September 18, 2018 Mayer tagged with NACC Volleyball Athlete of the Week honors
September 18, 2018 Falcons soar past Eagles in NACC matchup
September 15, 2018 Falcons making a statement
September 14, 2018 Falcons offense comes alive during non-conference victory
September 12, 2018 Women’s Volleyball tested in NACC opener at Lakeland
September 8, 2018 Volleyball drops pair of five-set matches
September 7, 2018 Women's Volleyball opens Pointer Invitational with win over host UWSP
September 1, 2018 Women’s Volleyball captures third-straight CIT title
August 17, 2018 Women's Volleyball receiving votes in AVCA Top-25 preseason poll