ANN ARBOR, Mich. – Concordia Wisconsin is sure getting used to winning the Concordia Invitational Tournament, capturing the trophy for the third-straight year after defeating Concordia Ann Arbor, 3-1, and Concordia Chicago, 3-0, on Saturday afternoon.
Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Concordia Ann Arbor 1 (25-23, 25-14, 25-27, 25-15); Concordia Wisconsin 3, Concordia Chicago 0 (25-18, 25-23, 25-21)
Location: Cardinal Field House (Ann Arbor, Mich.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 2-0, Concordia Ann Arbor 1-3, Concordia Chicago 0-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
CUW 3, CUAA 1
- Concordia Wisconsin won two of its three sets easily and went deep in the first and third frames. There were 24 scoring ties and 10 lead changes throughout the four-set matchup.
- The Falcons' Amanda Schultz smashed a kill and scored when the Cardinals had an attack error to give the visitors an opening frame 25-23 win. Concordia Wisconsin scored nine of the last 11 points in the second set to cruise to a 25-14 victory and take a 2-0 lead in the match.
- The third stanza had 14 scoring ties and seven lead changes, but ultimately it was three-consecutive points by the Cardinals that gave the hosts a 27-25 win. Of those three points, the Falcons had two attacking errors.
- Concordia Wisconsin took complete control when it put together an 11-1 scoring run in the final set before winning 25-15 and earning a season-opening non-conference win.
- Junior Holly Anderson (Grant Park, Ill.) led all players with 19 kills, to go along with a .293 attack percentage. Senior Amanda Schultz (North Prairie, Wis.) posted 16 kills, while freshman Madelyn Alton (Custer Park, Ill.) had 37 digs.
- Seniors Haley Sedo (Neenah, Wis.) and Mackenzie Wockenfus (Appleton, Wis.) each posted double-doubles. Sedo recorded 26 assists and 10 digs, while Wockenfus accumulated 22 assists and 14 digs.
CUW 3, CUC 0
- The Falcons controlled the opening set from start to finish, with a 25-18 win. The next two sets were closer, but strong finishes gave them a sweeping victory over Concordia Chicago.
- After trailing 8-6, Concordia Wisconsin put together a 7-0 scoring run to take command of the contest. During the quick scoring run, Anderson smashed a trio of kills.
- Another 7-0 run, this time to start the second frame, wouldn't be enough momentum as the Cougars crept back to tie the stanza at 23-all. Anderson had another kill and Alton recorded her own kill to give the Falcons a 2-0 lead in the contest.
- Concordia Wisconsin had a 5-1 scoring run to end the final set, which featured more of Anderson who tallied three kills during the stretch.
- Anderson led the team with nine kills, while Schultz had eight kills and freshman Sophia Collins tallied six kills.
- Junior Ariana Richmond (South Elgin, Ill.) led the defensive efforts with 18 digs and Alton dug 12 attack attempts.
- Wockenfus assisted on 15 kills and Sedo recorded 11 assists and four service aces. Junior Kelsey Kleba (Hartland, Wis.) served four aces of her own.
- The Falcons served a combined 23 aces during the two sets and recorded 16.0 total blocks.
- Schultz, junior Kendall Stribling (Greenfield, Wis.) and Kleba all recorded five total blocks or more on Saturday.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Stevens Points, Wis., on Friday and Saturday for the two-day UW-Stevens Point Invitational. The Falcons will compete against host UW-Stevens Point on Friday before playing against Bethel and St. Mary's on Saturday.