MEQUON, Wis. – Amanda Schultz paced Concordia Wisconsin on Saturday afternoon with 32 total kills, as the Falcons dropped a 3-2 (25-21, 21-25, 25-22, 25-27, 13-15) decision to Wartburg before defeating Luther 3-2 (25-21, 12-25, 16-25, 26-24, 15-12) during the final day of the NACC-IIAC Challenge Series.
Final Score: Wartburg 3, Concordia Wisconsin 2 (25-21, 21-25, 25-22, 25-27, 13-15); Concordia Wisconsin 3, Luther 2 (25-21, 12-25, 16-25, 26-24, 15-12)
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 15-2, Luther 8-6, Wartburg 11-4
QUOTING AMANDA SCHULTZ
HOW IT HAPPENED VS WARTBURG
- It was a back-and-forth match against the Knights, with 26 scoring ties and 13 lead changes through the five-setter. Neither team was able to take control, as each set was traded until Wartburg scored three of the last four points to win.
- The Falcons put together an important four-point rally in the end of the opening set to win 25-21.
- Concordia Wisconsin fought back from a 13-7 deficit to take a one-point advantage, 16-15, but Wartburg had an answer with a 7-1 scoring run before eventually winning 25-21.
- Both the third and fourth sets were even throughout, as neither team led by more than four points as they each won to knot the scoreboard at two sets apiece.
- The Knights jumped out to a sizeable 7-1 lead to begin the final set before the Falcons clawed back to an 11-11 tie. Wartburg smashed four kills to earn a difficult 3-2 victory.
- Junior Amanda Schultz (North Prairie, Wis.) pounded a career-high 19 kills and had a .255 attack percentage, while two of her teammates had double-figure kills. The setting duo of juniors Haley Sedo (Neenah, Wis.) and Mackenzie Wockenfus (Appleton, Wis.) combined for 46 assists.
- Senior Lindsey Casper (Hubertus, Wis.) had an outstanding match with 38 digs, four assists and two service aces.
- Sedo, Wockenfus and senior Kaily (Moegenburg) Erdman (Plymouth, Wis.) all had double-doubles in the defeat.
- Sophomore Kelsey Kleba (Hartland, Wis.) and Erdman each had five block assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED VS LUTHER
- Luther went ahead 2-1 in the match, with the second and third sets coming somewhat easily. However, Concordia Wisconsin regrouped and won the fourth set 26-24 and held off the Norse for a 15-12 final frame win to earn a difficult 3-2 non-conference win.
- There were 16 scoring ties and six lead changes in the contest.
- The Falcons had .233-plus attack percentages in the first and fifth sets, but didn't show as well in the middle stanzas.
- Numerous three-point spurts helped the Falcons to a 25-21 first set win and momentum to begin the contest. However, the energy was short-lived, as the Norse won sets two and three behind .233 and .343 attack percentages.
- Concordia Wisconsin was ahead 23-18 in the fourth set and nearly let it slip away, as Luther put together a 6-1 scoring run to knot the scoreboard at 24-all. A pair of Megan Mayer (sophomore, Downers Grove, Ill.) kills ended any chance of a comeback and gave the Falcons a 26-24 set to win extend the match.
- The fifth set was nearly identical to the fourth, as the Falcons built a 13-7 advantage and again had to hold off the Norse who got to within two points, 13-11. Senior Lauren Nevinski (New Berlin, Wis.) and Erdman each had kills to put a win on the host's side.
- Mayer led the team with a career-best 17 kills, while Schultz posted 13 kills and a .324 attack percentage. Sedo and Wockenfus had 28 and 23 assists, respectively.
- Moegenburg dug a career-high 28 attack attempts and sophomore Arianna Richmond (South Elgin, Ill.) recorded a career-best 27 digs.
- Nevinski tallied five block assists.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Casper's career-high 38 digs against Wartburg were the second most in a match in program history.
- Concordia Wisconsin's 62 kills against Wartburg and 61 kills against Luther were tied for the seventh and 10th most in a match in program history.
- Lizzy Blough and Aryn Jones each had 18 kills for Wartburg and Mallary Erbes tallied 31 assists.
- Katie Foster and Maria Brown recorded 31 and 26 digs, respectively, for the Knights.
- Karissa Kime posted a Luther-best 13 kills, while Sam Sixta had 45 assists.
- Natalie Cote had a team-high 24 digs and Emma Veum recorded six block assists for the Norse.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will compete on Friday and Saturday with road NACC matches at Wisconsin Lutheran and Alverno, with both matches starting at 7 pm.
April 25, 2018 Sedo, Stinson help on New Orleans mission trip
April 23, 2018 Women's Volleyball will host Junior Day Volleyball camp
February 1, 2018 Volleyball Camps Information
November 16, 2017 Erdman garners AVCA All-America Honorable Mention honors
November 9, 2017 Erdman, Nevinski, Katz receive AVCA recognition
November 9, 2017 Falcons end season in NCAA Tournament
November 6, 2017 Women's Volleyball to play Carthage in NCAA Tournament
November 4, 2017 NACC Tournament Champions!
November 2, 2017 Women’s Volleyball advances to NACC Tournament Championship
November 2, 2017 Erdman wins POY, Katz named COY in NACC Women’s Volleyball awards
November 1, 2017 Erdman named NACC Player of the Week
November 1, 2017 Women's Volleyball gaining respect nationally
October 28, 2017 Women's Volleyball upsets Warhawks in thrilling five set victory
October 25, 2017 Women's Volleyball receives votes in AVCA poll
October 24, 2017 Nevinski named NACC Player of the Week
October 24, 2017 Falcons repeat as NACC regular season champs!
October 21, 2017 Seniors lead Falcons to share of NACC regular season title
October 20, 2017 Falcons defeat Spartans in battle of NACC’s undefeated teams
October 19, 2017 Block Solo Notes: Falcons have important NACC matches in sight
October 16, 2017 #CUWStatsInfo: Katz becomes program's fastest coach to 100 wins
October 14, 2017 Falcons remain perfect in NACC play
October 13, 2017 Katz reaches 100 wins milestone in Women’s Volleyball victory
October 7, 2017 Experienced gained in Women’s Volleyball victory
October 6, 2017 Falcons overcome slow start against Eagles, Nevinski sets record
October 5, 2017 Block Solo Notes: Busy weekend ahead for Falcons
October 4, 2017 Falcons sweep Pointers in convincing fashion
October 3, 2017 Block Solo Notes: Falcons welcome nationally ranked Pointers
September 30, 2017 Women’s Volleyball extends NACC winning streak to 17 matches
September 29, 2017 A force to be reckoned with
September 29, 2017 Women's Volleyball sweeps Wisconsin Lutheran in NACC road match
September 23, 2017 Schultz smashes 32 kills, Women’s Volleyball splits matches
September 22, 2017 Falcons sweep two on first day of NACC/IIAC Challenge
September 21, 2017 Block Solo Notes: NACC-IIAC Challenge Series on the horizon
September 20, 2017 Falcons offense on fire during sweep of Sabres
September 15, 2017 First set energy propels Falcons to another sweep
September 13, 2017 Falcons begin NACC play on positive note
September 12, 2017 Block Solo Notes: Falcons host Muskies in NACC opener
September 9, 2017 Falcons sweep both opponents to close Pizza Hut Classic
September 8, 2017 Women’s Volleyball splits matches at Pizza Hut Classic
September 5, 2017 Women’s Volleyball sweeps Lake Forest
September 2, 2017 Falcons are back-to-back CIT champs!
September 1, 2017 Falcons fly by Cardinals in season-opening sweep
August 24, 2017 Women's Volleyball picked to repeat as NACC champions
May 9, 2017 Support the Volleyball program