AUSTIN, Texas – Concordia Wisconsin looked impressive during a pair of victories that gave them the Concordia Invitational Volleyball Tournament trophy. The Falcons knocked off Concordia Texas 3-0 (25-21, 25-12, 25-20) and Concordia Ann Arbor 3-0 (25-16, 25-22, 25-18).
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Concordia Texas 0 (25-21, 25-12, 25-20); Concordia Wisconsin 3, Concordia Ann Arbor 0 (25-16, 25-22, 25-18)
Location: Austin, Texas
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 3-0, Concordia Texas 0-2, Concordia Ann Arbor 7-4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- CUW began the day with a clean sweep over the hosting Concordia Texas Tornados. They hit .152 and limited the opposition to .052.
- The Falcons went back-and-forth with the Tornados in the opening frame, with eight scoring ties and two lead changes, before winning 25-21.
- The second and third frames were much easier, with just two scoring ties occurring, in the sweeping win. CUW led by as many as 13 points in the second set.
- Concordia Ann Arbor proved to be a tougher opponent on the day, as 14 scoring ties and nine lead changes happened before CUW hoisted the trophy.
- The Falcons were up by five points in the early going of set one against the Cardinals and never relinquished the lead, winning 25-16.
- Set two was much closer, as CUW led 21-13 at one point before CUAA charged back by scoring nine of the last 12 points. However, a Megan Mayer (freshman, Downers Grove, Ill.) kill gave the Falcons a commanding 2-0 lead in the match.
- CUW led by five points for much of the third and deciding set and eventually scoring the final four points before the excitement erupted.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- It was the third time in the last four years the Falcons have won the Concordia Invitational Volleyball Tournament.
- Junior Kaily Moegenburg (Plymouth, Wis.) had 15 kills and a .190 attack percentage, while junior Lauren Nevinski (New Berlin, Wis.) and junior Terese Zymanek (Menomonee Falls, Wis.) each recorded 14 kills apiece, respectively, and hit over .400.
- Sophomore Ashley Jehlicka (Salem, Wis.) had 27 assists, 11 digs and five kills during the two matches.
- Senior Karina Klotz (Hubertus, Wis.) assisted on 24 kills, while sophomore Lindsey Casper (Hubertus, Wis.) had 34 digs.
- Casper served a career-high four aces against Concordia Ann Arbor and Jehlicka tied her career-best of four service aces against Concordia Texas. Nevinski also dialed up three service aces versus Concordia Ann Arbor.
- The Falcons 14 service aces against Concordia Ann Arbor were the fourth most in a match in program history and the second most in a three-set match.
- Concordia Texas was led by Lianne VanDyke who had 14 assists, while Lexi Perez dug 18 attack attempts. Carly Custer recorded nine kills lead the offensive attack.
- The Tornados hit .052 (26K-21E-96A) as a team.
- Concordia Ann Arbor had Erica den Boer smash eight kills and dig 16 attack attempts. Claire Truskowski recorded 16 assists, while Hannah Madis ended with three block assists and a block solo.
- The Cardinals had a .213 hitting percentage (29K-10E-89A) and 8.0 total team blocks.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- CUW returns to the court for the two-day, four-match UW-Oshkosh Pizza Hut Classic on Friday and Saturday (September 9-10) in Oshkosh, Wis. They will compete against St. Norbert, St. Scholastica, Millikin and UW-Oshkosh.