HARTLAND, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin's winning streak ended at 36 in a row on Saturday when Edgewood earned a 6-3 NACC victory in a battle of the top two teams in the league standings.
Final Score: Edgewood 6, Concordia Wisconsin 3
Location: Lake Country Tennis Club (Hartland, Wis.)
Records: Edgewood 8-2, 8-0 NACC; Concordia Wisconsin 9-1, 8-1 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After waiting out a short weather delay and then traveling 45 minutes to an indoor venue, Concordia Wisconsin was ready for a matchup that could continue its winning streak and put itself in the drives seat for a fourth-consecutive NACC regular season title.
- The Falcons jumped in front 2-1 after doubles play when senior Ashley Solberg (Waukesha, Wis.) and junior Rebekah Spiegelhoff (Mount Pleasant, Wis.) earned a hard-fought 8-6 victory at No. 1 position, while senior Bailey Kelly (Racine, Wis.) and freshman Ricki Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) picked up a difficult 9-8 (7-2) win at the No. 2 position.
- The second half of the match showed the strength of the Eagles as they won of five of six singles competitions to earn the 6-3 victory. Solberg was the lone Falcon to win a point during singles with a 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 win at the No. 1 spot.
- The match ends Concordia Wisconsin's NACC winning streak at 36 matches, which covered nearly four complete conference seasons. The last time the Falcons lost was, ironically, to Edgewood in a 6-3 decision on September 28, 2014.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Lakeland on October 13 for a NACC contest.