HARTLAND, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin's winning streak ended at 36 in a row on Saturday when Edgewood earned a 6-3 NACC victory in a battle of the top two teams in the league standings.
Final Score: Edgewood 6, Concordia Wisconsin 3
Location: Lake Country Tennis Club (Hartland, Wis.)
Records: Edgewood 8-2, 8-0 NACC; Concordia Wisconsin 9-1, 8-1 NACC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After waiting out a short weather delay and then traveling 45 minutes to an indoor venue, Concordia Wisconsin was ready for a matchup that could continue its winning streak and put itself in the drives seat for a fourth-consecutive NACC regular season title.
- The Falcons jumped in front 2-1 after doubles play when senior Ashley Solberg (Waukesha, Wis.) and junior Rebekah Spiegelhoff (Mount Pleasant, Wis.) earned a hard-fought 8-6 victory at No. 1 position, while senior Bailey Kelly (Racine, Wis.) and freshman Ricki Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) picked up a difficult 9-8 (7-2) win at the No. 2 position.
- The second half of the match showed the strength of the Eagles as they won of five of six singles competitions to earn the 6-3 victory. Solberg was the lone Falcon to win a point during singles with a 4-6, 6-3, 6-2 win at the No. 1 spot.
- The match ends Concordia Wisconsin's NACC winning streak at 36 matches, which covered nearly four complete conference seasons. The last time the Falcons lost was, ironically, to Edgewood in a 6-3 decision on September 28, 2014.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Lakeland on October 13 for a NACC contest.
July 18, 2019 Women’s Tennis garners ITA academic honors
June 24, 2019 Solberg honored with Female Career Achievement Award
June 9, 2019 Women’s Tennis reflects on 2018-19 campaign
May 5, 2019 Falcons fall in NACC finals
April 24, 2019 Women’s Tennis clips Carroll
April 16, 2019 Falcon Focus Podcast (April 16, 2019)
April 14, 2019 Bailey Kelly breaks NACC record in victory at SNC
April 12, 2019 UW-La Crosse tips Women’s Tennis
April 7, 2019 Women’s Tennis claims historic win at Carthage
March 31, 2019 Saint Mary’s sinks Women’s Tennis
March 21, 2019 Women’s Tennis closes spring break play
March 19, 2019 Falcons down Hamline
March 18, 2019 Women’s Tennis opens spring break schedule
November 1, 2018 Budewitz named FOY in NACC Women's Tennis awards
October 13, 2018 Falcons defeat Muskies, secure No. 2 seed for NACC Tournament
October 6, 2018 Winning streak snapped for Women’s Tennis
October 2, 2018 Falcon Focus Podcast (October 2, 2018)
October 2, 2018 Solberg captures NACC Player of the Week accolades
October 1, 2018 A legacy to last for some time
September 26, 2018 Women’s Tennis shuts out Marian
September 15, 2018 Women's Tennis stays undefeated at Concordia Chicago, Dominican
September 11, 2018 Budewitz earns NACC Tennis Athlete of the Week
September 8, 2018 Women’s Tennis continues to defeat NACC opponents
September 4, 2018 Women’s Tennis pushes NACC winning streak to 29 matches
August 31, 2018 Women’s Tennis begins season on a strong note
August 21, 2018 Women's Tennis predicted to repeat as NACC Champions