MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin shutout Aurora to begin the day and edged Illinois Tech in an important early-season NACC match on Saturday afternoon to push its winning streak to 31 matches in league play.
Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 9, Aurora 0; Concordia Wisconsin 5, Illinois Tech 4
Location: CUW Tennis Courts (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 4-0, Aurora 2-3, Illinois Tech 5-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons had little trouble with the Spartans to begin the day, as the visitors played with a depleted lineup, giving up a doubles and singles point.
- Senior Ashley Solberg (Waukesha, Wis.), senior Bailey Kelly (Racine, Wis.) and freshman Ricki Budewitz (Watertown, Wis.) all cruised to 6-0, 6-0 victories in singles play during the No. 1-3 spots in the lineup.
- Junior Rebekah Spiegelhoff (Mount Pleasant, Wis.) gave up a game before winning 6-0, 6-1 at No. 5 singles and freshman Elizabeth Johnson (Hubertus, Wis.) played strong during a 6-1, 6-1 victory at No. 4 singles.
- The duo of Sievers and Spiegelhoff blanked their No. 2 doubles opponents in an 8-0 win.
- The afternoon matchup against a strong Illinois Tech opponent proved to be everything the score ended up being.
- The Scarlet Hawks, who received four first-place votes in the NACC Preseason Poll, jumped out in front 2-1 after doubles play to take an early lead. The Falcons doubles point, an 8-5 win, was scored by Kelly and Budewitz who partnered at the No. 2 position.
- Singles play featured a 6-2, 6-2 victory by Budewitz and a 6-3, 6-0 win from Sievers.
- Things were difficult, but rewarding for Johnson who walked away with a 7-6 (7-1), 7-6 (7-3) decision in her favor at No. 5 singles. Spiegelhoff also encountered a difficult victory with a 3-6, 6-3, 6-2 score at No. 6 singles.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will have a week before returning to the courts on Saturday, September 15 for road NACC matches at Concordia Chicago (10 am) and Dominican (2 pm).