MADISON, Wis. – Not one, not two, but three NACC Tournament Championships in a row now for Concordia Wisconsin after it defeated Marian 5-0 in a semifinal contest before winning 5-2 over Edgewood inside Nelsen Tennis Stadium.
Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 5, Marian 0; Concordia Wisconsin 5, Edgewood 2
Location: Nielsen Tennis Stadium (Madison, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 20-5, Edgewood 11-11
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Concordia Wisconsin rolled by Marian in a morning semifinal match by a 5-0 decision.
- The Falcons captured all three doubles points to build a comfortable lead, with the pairing of juniors Ashley Solberg (Waukesha, Wis.) and Bailey Kelly (Racine, Wis.) winning 8-0 at the No. 1 position.
- Senior Sabine Jacobsen (Palatine, Ill.) won 6-0, 6-1 at No. 6 singles for the fourth point, while sophomore Emma Sievers clinched the fifth point with a 6-0, 6-2 win.
- The title match was more difficult, as the Falcons found themselves down 2-1 after doubles play.
- Sievers and Jacobsen worked together to win 8-1 at the No. 3 position and give the top seed a point.
- Solberg tied the match at 2-2 after defeating her No. 1 singles opponent 6-2, 6-0. Kelly added a 6-4, 6-1 win at No. 3 singles to push Concordia Wisconsin in front 3-2 and gain some momentum.
- Sievers tallied a 6-4, 6-2 victory at No. 4 singles prior to Jacobsen earning a hard-fought 0-6, 6-3, 6-0 victory to secure the three-peat.
BEYOND THE RESULTS
- Concordia Wisconsin has achieved 20 victories for the
- The Falcons are the second program in the NACC to win three-straight Tournament titles in a row, after Edgewood accomplished the feat from 2013-15.
- Over the last three NACC Tournaments, the Falcons have a combined scoring margin of 40-10, with two matches ending in 5-0 scores.
- Sievers tied the program's single-season record for singles wins with 24 to tie Kelly who accomplished the feat in 2015-16. She also pushed her singles winning streak to 10 matches.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will find out its opponent for the NCAA Division III Tournament when the NCAA announces it via release at 11 am CT.