WHITEWATER, Wis. – John Carroll was too much on Thursday afternoon, as Concordia Wisconsin ended its season with a 5-0 defeat in the opening round of the NCAA Tournament at Wangerin Courts.
Final Score: John Carroll 5, Concordia Wisconsin 1
Location: Wangerin Courts (Whitewater, Wis.)
Records: John Carroll 16-9, Concordia Wisconsin 16-11
HOW IT HAPPENED
- John Carroll jumped out to a 3-0 lead after doubles play, giving up just eight sets combined in the three matches. The Blue Streaks were the first team to secure five points with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 singles.
- Junior Elizabeth Carroll (Hartford, Wis.) and freshman Emma Sievers (Slinger, Wis.) had success during their respect singles matches, winning the first set. Carroll won 6-4 during her opening set at No. 4 singles, while Sievers won her opening set easily 6-1 at No. 5 singles.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons 16 wins is the second most in program history, second to last season's record-setting 21 victories.
- It may not have been the result Concordia Wisconsin was hoping for, but they had two players win a set during singles play, which didn't happen last season against Denison during the first round of the NCAA Tournament.
- Senior Michaela Wagner (Oswego, Ill.) ends her career ranked first all-time with 64 doubles victories and tied for sixth with 37 singles.
- Carroll concludes the 2016-17 season with 20 singles wins, which is tied for the second most in a season.