NAPERVILLE, Ill. – Concordia Wisconsin program-record winning streak of 17-consucutive matches came to an end on Saturday afternoon with an 8-1 defeat at North Central in non-conference play. Prior to the loss the Falcons defeated Principia by a 5-4 score.
Final Score: North Central 8, Concordia Wisconsin 1; Concordia Wisconsin 5, Principia 4
Location: Naperville, Ill., Elsah, Ill.
Records: North Central 9-2, Concordia Wisconsin 17-2, Principia 2-6
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons battled during doubles play to earn their only point after sophomore Sabine Jacobsen (Palatine, Ill.) and junior Alisia Macioch (South St. Paul, Minn.) defeated their No. 3 doubles pairing by a 9-7 score. The Cardinals won the No.1 and No.2 doubles matches to take a 2-1 lead into singles play.
- North Central flexed its muscle during singles play, winning all six matches to stop CUW's winning streak. Freshman Bailey Kelly (Racine, Wis.) was the closest Falcon to possibly win a point during singles play, losing 7-5, 7-5 at the No. 4 position.
- CUW earned doubles victory at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions to take a 2-1 lead. Sophomore Hannah Tresedder (Kingsford, Mich.) and junior Michaela Wagner (Oswego, Ill.) won a hard-fought 9-7 match at No. 2 doubles.
- All three of the Falcons singles wins weren't easy, as two had to go to tiebreaking situations. Wagner won a 7-5, 6-4 decision at No. 5 singles, while Macioch picked up a 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-4) win at No. 6 singles. In addition, Kelly had a 1-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-7) decision in her favor at No. 4 singles.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons hadn't lost season their season opener on September 2.
- The Falcons 17-match winning streak was the longest in program history and the longest winning streak (including conference and non-conference matches) by a team in Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference history.
- During the winning streak CUW didn't lose a match at No. 5 singles, which included 15 wins by Kelly.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons return to action on Saturday, April 9 for a pair of non-conference games. They take on Wartburg at 12 pm before playing at St. Norbert at 3 pm.