Montgomery, Ill.- Concordia University Wisconsin fell short in a 2-0 setback that came against Aurora at Spartan Stadium on Saturday night.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 0, Aurora 2
Location: Spartan Stadium- Montgomery, Ill.
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 4-3-2 (3-1 NACC), Aurora 3-6 (3-0 NACC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons and Spartans battled a hard fought first-half as the teams held each other scoreless going into the break. Senior Tabitha Ortiz (Plainfield, Ill.) had three saves to keep Aurora off the board as CUW was able to get a total of nine shots, 3-of-9 shots were on target for the Falcons.
- Midway through the second-half is when the Falcons had really good looks bounce off the crossbar. Freshmen Anna Knueppel (Germantown, Wis.) had a scoring opportunity rocket off the crossbar, shortly after junior Ashley Johnson (Chesterfield, Mich.) unfortunately found the same result but instead off the post. In the 53rd minute junior Kayla Schlosser (Germantown, Wis.) had another scoring opportunity for the Falcons as her header was blocked by a Spartan defender.
- After 60 minutes of scoreless soccer, Jessica Ortiz scored on a cross to the center of the box from Alexis Abelove that Ortiz rifled in. Concordia Wisconsin made two shots on goal after the 75th minute in attempt to overcome the deficit. The first shot came from Knueppel which was corralled by Taylor Joiner for the save and the Falcons had another shot on goal by junior Nicole Ciesielczyk (Waukesha, Wis.) that was stepped in front of to keep CUW scoreless.
- The Falcons were able to get 19 shots, but only five shots on goal with two of them bouncing off the post and crossbar. Concordia Wisconsin had nine first-half shots to go along with 10 second-half shots and were able to get six corner kicks with three in each half.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Concordia Wisconsin was riding a four-game winning streak before tonight's game. The Falcons previously had 3-of-4 wins come within one goal. CUW is now third in conference behind Aurora and Dominican, both of whom are undefeated in NACC play.
- Aurora currently holds a 16-2-1 lead in the series with the Falcons. Last Concordia victory came in 2015 with a 3-0 win at home.
- The Falcons will return to Fitting Field to take on the Warriors of Wisconsin Lutheran on Wednesday, October 4 at 4:00 pm.