OSHKOSH, Wis. – It was a battle of who would break first on Sunday afternoon, but UW-Oshkosh walked away with a 2-0 non-conference victory over Concordia University Wisconsin at J.J. Keller Field. The loss for the Falcons ended their winning streak that dated back to September 16, which was a program record of 11-consecutive victories.
Final Score: UW-Oshkosh 2, Concordia Wisconsin 0
Location: J.J. Keller Field (Oshkosh, Wis.)
Records: UW-Oshkosh 13-2-2, Concordia Wisconsin 12-3-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The scoreboard operator didn't work hard in the first half, with neither team finding the back of the net. The Falcons recorded a pair of shots on goal, while the Titans had just one during the opening 45 minutes of play.
- Rylee Engelland put the first mark on the board with a header goal off a cross from Heidi Hetzel at the 50:39 mark of the second half. The goal was enough for the hosts to earn the win.
- Rachel Elliott added another goal for UW-Oshkosh 15 minutes later with a long 35-yard shot that found the back of the net. Megan Paulick was credited with an assist on the play.
- Junior Ariana Worthing (Saginaw, Mich.) took the loss after making two saves in a complete game effort, while her counterpart Nina Muzi made five saves in a winning effort.
- UW-Oshkosh held a 16-12 advantage in overall shots, but CUW held a slim 5-4 lead in shots on goal.
- Neither team had a corner kick in the opening 45 minutes of play and each recorded just on in the second half.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- It was the first time the Falcons were shutout since a 0-0 double-overtime tie against Concordia Chicago on September 26, 2013 – a streak of 40 matches.
- The loss resulted in CUW's non-conference record for the season ending at 4-2-2.
- It was also just the sixth time this season that neither senior Carley Pfannerstill (Grafton, Wis.) nor freshman Kayla Schlosser (Germantown, Wis.) scored a goal. The duo has combined to score 26 of the teams' 49 goals this season.
- Rachel Elliot led the Titans with two shots on goal, while Alek Kleis and Engelland each had a shot on goal.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- CUW concludes the regular season with a 3:30 pm NACC match on Wednesday against Lakeland. If the Falcons earn the victory, they will win the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference outright regular season title for the first time in program history.