MEQUON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Women's Soccer team saw one ball hit off the crossbar and one hit off the left post, both of those shots coming in overtime sessions, ultimately settling for a 1-1 draw with Concordia Ann Arbor Friday. The Falcons, whose lone goal was scored 3:19 into play, moved to 1-0-1 on the season.
-Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 1, Concordia Ann Arbor 1
-Location: Fitting Field – Mequon, Wis.
-Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-0-1; Concordia Ann Arbor 3-1-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons jumped out to an early lead thanks to a goal scored from senior Emily Ciesielczyk just 3:19 into play. Ciesielczyk (Waukesha, Wis.) netted her first goal of an assist from senior Carley Pfannerstill (Grafton, Wis.). The Falcons also scored 3:00 into play in the opener on Tuesday against Carroll.
- The 1-0 lead would hold for much of the match before the Cardinals struck with just 8:11 remaining in regulation. Paige Messmer scored after a scramble near the net, coming off an original free kick for the Cardinals.
-Both teams had a couple chances in the overtime sessions, none better than the two for the Falcons. Senior Jaclyn Theune (Oostburg, Wis.) nearly landed a free kick goal from 20 yards out, but hit the crossbar in the first overtime. The Falcons also had a penalty kick go off the left goalpost in the second overtime.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Ariana Worthing (Saginaw, Mich.) made seven saves in her first action of the season. Worthing and sophomore Tabitha Ortiz (Plainfield, Mich.) split starts last season and have split the first two starts of 2015 as well.
- Ciesielczyk and Pfannerstill switched normal roles on the opening goal. Ciesieclzyk has been the top assist person for the Falcons for the past few seasons, while Pfannerstill has been one of the top goal scorers.
- The shots ended up 19-17 in favor of the Falcons, including a 5-2 edge in the overtimes. Shots on goal were 6-5 in favor of the Falcons.
- This was just the second draw in the last three seasons for the Falcons, the last one coming in 2013, a 0-0 score against Concordia Chicago. The last time the Falcons tied a school that didn't begin with Concordia? October 30, 2012 against Edgewood, which was also a 0-0 game.
- Messmer had the lone goal for the Cardinals, while Julia Palushaj led all players with seven shots. Maria Lulgjuraj had six saves.
- The Falcons will host Trinity International on Labor Day (Monday, September 7) at 1 p.m. at Fitting Field. Live coverage links will be available at CUWFalcons.com.