MEQUON, Wis. – Carley Pfannerstill scored two first-half goals in leading the Concordia University Wisconsin Women's Soccer team to a 3-1 win over Carroll in the Falcons season opener, Tuesday at Fitting Field. All four goals of the game were scored in the opening half, the first three by the Falcons.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Carroll 1
- Location: Fitting Field – Mequon, Wis.
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-0-0; Carroll 0-1-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons built a 2-0 lead four minutes into play thanks to goals from freshman Kayla Schlosser (Germantown, Wis.) and Pfannerstill (Grafton, Wis.). Schlosser's goal came exactly three minutes into play, while Pfannerstill made the score 2-0 just 60 seconds later.
- Pfannerstill would make the score 3-0 at the 23:11 mark with her second goal, this one coming on a penalty kick. She was rewarded the kick after Carroll was whistled for a handball in the box.
- The Pioneers lone goal came at the 29:33 mark of the opening half, coming off the foot of Rachel Van Sluys.
- The second half was all about defense as despite a few chances for both teams, neither could add to the score, resulting in the 3-1 final.
- Sophomore Tabitha Ortiz (Plainfield, Ill.) made two saves in picking up her first win of the season. The Falcons outshot the Pioneers, 15-9, including a 7-3 edge in shots on goal.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The multi-goal game was the 14th of Pfannerstill's career. The senior has one hat trick in her three-plus years with the Falcons. In 2013 she had five multiple goal games, while adding four her freshman and junior seasons. CUW is 13-1-0 when Pfannerstill scores two or more goals.
- Senior Emily Ciesielczyk (Waukesha, Wis.) recorded her 35th assist, helping on Pfannerstill's first goal. She is the Falcons leader in assists during the Ryan Middendorf era (2003-present).
- Despite all the success this senior class has had, this was just the second time the Falcons have won a season opener during the last four seasons. They also won their first game during their freshman season, a 5-0 victory at Lake Forest.
- Pfannerstill also assisted on Schlosser's goal, giving her a five-point game. She now has 105 career points, which ranks fourth during the Middendorf era.
- Despite losing just two seniors from last year's team, the Falcons started three freshmen in the opener. Schlosser showcased her talent in the midfield and displayed tremendous control, while Nicole Ciesielczyk (Waukesha, Wis.) adds to an already loaded forward/midfield group for CUW. Josie Dombrowski (Bartlett, Ill.) looked strong as a center back for the Falcons as well.
- Van Sluys had the lone goal for Carroll and a pair of shots. Adding two shots was Casey Weyhrich, while Sara Mahoney made four saves. Delaney Pruitt had an assist for Carroll.
- The Falcons, who open the season with six of the first seven matches at home, will host Concordia Ann Arbor on Friday at 3 p.m. Live stats and audio will be available at CUWFalcons.com.