ELMHURST, Ill. – Marco Padilla took second in the 125-pound bracket at the CCIW Wrestling Championship and Concordia Wisconsin placed fifth as a team inside R.A. Faganel Hall.
Location: R.A. Faganel Hall (Elmhurst, Ill.)
Team Finish: 5th of 7 (58.5 points)
Falcons Individuals: 125 – Marco Padilla (2nd place), 133 – Ramiro Vasquez (6th place), 149 – Miguel Angel Betancourt (5th place), 157 – Eric Martinson (4th place), 165 – Alex Montbriand (6th place), 184 – Merrick O'Donnell (4th place), 197 – Brogan Howard (6th place), 285 – Collin Riley (6th place)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore Marco Padilla (Elmwood Park, Ill.) was the top Falcon wrestler during the championship, placing second at 125 pounds. After receiving a bye in the opening round he defeated Elijah Diaz (Millikin) by a 9-4 decision before dropping a 6-4 decision against Moe Mitchell (North Central) to take second place.
- Concordia Wisconsin outperformed the CCIW Wrestling Championship Coaches' Poll with a fifth-place finish after expecting to take seventh.
- Senior Eric Martinson (Milwaukee, Wis.) ended in fourth place of the 157-pound division after going 2-2. He defeated Caele Manley (Wheaton) by an 11-8 decision and pinned Dominic Ambrose (North Central) in two minutes and 28 seconds.
- Sophomore Merrick O'Donnell (Huntington Beach, Calif.) also took fourth place, but in the 184-pound bracket. He was 2-2 and his wins included a pin in 1:53 against Hunter Jarvis (Augustana) and a second pin in 2:23 over Sebastian Zaragoza (Elmhurst).
- Junior Ramiro Vasquez (Yuma, Ariz.) ended in sixth at 133 pounds, while junior Alex Montbriand (Bartlett, Ill.) was sixth at 165 pounds. Sophomore Brogan Howard (Prineville, Ore.) and Freshman Collin Riley (San Antonio, Texas) were also sixth-place finishers at 197 and 285 pounds, respectively.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will host MSOE in a CCIW dual on Tuesday at 7 pm. The match is rescheduled from January 31.