NAPERVILLE, Ill. – Mitchell Slatton took second place at the CCIW Championship, while Concordia Wisconsin took sixth place as a team on Thursday afternoon inside Merner Field House.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mitchell Slatton (Granger, Ind.) worked his way into the title match of the 197-pound weight class after a pair of wins. He first defeated Miroslav Stojanovic (MSOE) by fall in one minute and two seconds before earning a close 2-1 decision against Isaiah Herrera (Millikin). The senior wasn't able to get his arm raised for a third time after dropping a 3-0 decision to Tyler Vittal (North Central.)
- Concordia Wisconsin one wrestler take third and four fifth in the tournament.
- Sophomore Matthew Saldana (Long Beach, Calif.) wrestled three times, winning two, to take third place at 125 pounds. He lost his opening match by technical fall, 16-0, before earning a technical fall, 16-1, victory of his own over Mark Nielerowski (MSOE). Saldana placed third after a close 8-7 decision over Elijah Diaz (Millikin).
- Sophomore Ramiro Vasquez (Yuma, Ariz.) was 2-2 on the day to take fifth in the 133 pound bracket. During his day he won an 18-0 technical fall match over Preston Makoutz (MSOE) and an 11-1 major decision against Josiah Fitzjerrels (Wheaton).
- Junior Eric Martinson (Milwaukee, Wis.) stuck John Prieto (Elmhurst) on his back in 46 seconds to begin his day. He also had a 12-7 decision win against Noah Justl (Millikin) to take fifth in the 157 weight division. Martinson was 2-2 on the day.
- Freshman Merrick O'Donnell (Huntington Beach, Calif.) won a pair of matches by fall and was 2-2 during the day to take fifth at 174 pounds. He won by fall in 1:57 over Jake Tisza (Millikin) and Gunnar Hjorth (Elmhurst).
- Junior Sam Olson (Waukesha, Wis.) had two wins on the day, both 7-4 decisions, against Ronald Balazs (Lakeland) and Zach Dixon (Elmhurst) to take fifth at 285 pounds.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will travel to Minneapolis, Minn., on Saturday, February 24 for the NCAA Division III Upper Midwest Regionals, hosted by Augsburg College.