ELMHURST, Ill. – Concordia Wisconsin placed four wrestlers in the top-five at a difficult Elmhurst Invitational on Saturday afternoon. Mitchell Slatton led the team with a second place finish at 184 pounds.
Location: R.A. Faganel Hall (Elmhurst, Ill.)
Falcon Individual Placers: Mitchell Slatton (184 pounds) second place, Matthew Saldana (125 pounds) fifth place, Ramiro Vasquez (133 pounds) fifth place, Mac Braylock (197 pounds) fifth place
QUOTING HEAD COACH KEVIN KOCH
"We wrestled well to get four placers in our first competition back after the winter break. It was a good performance by Mitch with his first matches at 184 pounds this season."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons had been off from competition for nearly a month before returning to the mat at a difficult tournament on the road. They had four wrestler place and were led by senior Mitchell Slatton (Granger, Ind.).
- Slatton began his day with a pin in 1:49 over Ryan Snyder (MSOE) before winning a close 3-2 decision against Logan Millzer (Triton). The senior then defeated top-seeded Griffin Meeker (Millikin) by decision, 5-3, before losing by technical fall 22-7 against Mark Miller (Elmhurst) in the title bout.
- Sophomore Matthew Saldana (Long Beach, Calif.) cruised past Ryan Boncamper (Chicago) with a 12-3 major decision win to advance, but then dropped a 7-1 decision to top-seeded Britches Sikula (Harper). He lost his next contest by technical fall, 19-4, before earning a forfeit win to take fifth place at 125 pounds.
- Sophomore Ramiro Vasquez (Yuma, Ariz.) began his day with his best performance, a 15-0 technical fall win over Brandan Kammer (Adrian). He lost his next match by decision, 11-9, to Tyler Futris (Haper) before coming back and winning back-to-back matches by decision. Vasquez defeated Dominic Paterra (Adrian) by a 6-2 score prior to defeating Santos Alvarez (Henry Ford) by a 10-6 score. The 133-pounder lost his next match before winning the fifth-place competition by medical forfeit.
- Senior Mac Braylock (Marietta, Ga.) had his best performance of the season, winning two-straight matches to begin his day. He defeated Donald Moses (Adrian) by an 8-6 decision and then won an 11-8 decision over Gabriel Rangel (Lincoln). Braylock lost his next two matches prior to winning by medical forfeit to finish in fifth place.
- Junior Eric Martinson (Milwaukee, Wis.) won a pair of matches today by fall. He pinned Alex Moran (MSOE) in 2:30 and downed Gunnar Hjorth (Elmhurst) in 4:15.
- Freshman Merrick O'Donnell (Huntington Beach, Calif.) also won a pair of bouts by fall. He pinned Garrett Mulkerin (MSOE) in 3:59 before sticking Scott Anderson (Harper) in 1:53.
BEYOND THE RESULTS
- It was the second time this season Slatton has finished second in a tournament.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to the Willie Myers Open, hosted by UW-Whitewater, on Saturday, January 20.
June 14, 2018 Koch attends NWCA-FCAW Leadership Academy
February 24, 2018 Wrestling season comes to an end at NCAA Upper Midwest Regionals
February 23, 2018 Betancourt still alive at NCAA Wrestling Upper Midwest Regional
February 22, 2018 Slatton will always be there to help
February 8, 2018 Slatton, Wrestling performs at CCIW Championship
February 7, 2018 Wrestling prepared for CCIW Championship
January 26, 2018 Wrestling competes at Pete Willson Invitational
January 23, 2018 It started with a vision
January 20, 2018 Wrestling competes at challenging Willie Meyers Open
January 13, 2018 Slatton leads Wrestling with second place finish
December 20, 2017 Vasquez named CCIW Wrestler of the Week
December 16, 2017 Wrestling earns first win, Vasquez goes 3-0
December 15, 2017 Falcons can’t hold off Raiders in CCIW dual
December 7, 2017 Wrestling drops CCIW dual to Elmhurst
December 6, 2017 CCIW dual preview: Falcons host Bluejays
December 2, 2017 Wrestling competes at MSOE Invitational
November 18, 2017 Mitchell Slatton leads Falcons with a 3-2 record at 25th Annual CUW Open
November 16, 2017 25th Wrestling Open preview
November 9, 2017 Wrestling drops CCIW dual at Lakeland
November 4, 2017 Wrestling performs well at UW-Stevens Point Open
November 3, 2017 CCIW Wrestling Preseason Poll released
November 1, 2017 Season Preview: Wrestling ready for difficult season
September 21, 2017 Kevin Koch named Wrestling head coach