DUBUQUE, Iowa – Concordia Wisconsin won its first dual of the season in thrilling fashion with a come-from-behind 25-24 victory over host Dubuque at the Jim Fox Duals on Saturday afternoon. Ramiro Vasquez finished 3-0 in the duals, while the Falcons also competed against Nebraska Wesleyan and Wheaton.
Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 25, Dubuque 24
Location: McCormick Gymnasium (Dubuque, Iowa)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 1-5, Dubuque 1-2, Nebraska Wesleyan 1-4, Wheaton 3-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Early on it looked like Concordia Wisconsin wouldn't be able to dig itself out of the hole it had built, trailing 15-0 after three matches in its dual against host Dubuque. They slowly climbed back into it when sophomore Alex Montbriand (Barlett, Ill.) won by major decision, 12-4, at 165 pounds and freshman Merrick O'Donnell (Huntington Beach, Calif.) also picked up a major decision, 8-0, at 174 pounds.
- The Spartans earned a win by fall at 184 pounds to take a 21-8 lead just past the halfway point of the match.
- Senior Mitchell Slatton (Granger, Ind.) added six points for the Falcons after pinning his 197-pound opponent in two minutes and 49 seconds. Dubuque took the 285-pound match by decision to lead 24-14 with two bouts remaining.
- Sophomore Matthew Saldana (Long Beach, Calif.) earned an important win by fall at 125 pounds in two minutes and five seconds to set up Vasquez (Yuma, Ariz.). The sophomore did what he needed and captured a 19-4 technical fall at 133 pounds to give the Falcons an outstanding victory.
- Concordia Wisconsin had difficulties against Nebraska Wesleyan and Wheaton, winning six matches of the 20 completed.
- Vasquez picked up a 16-1 technical fall against Wheaton and a 14-2 major decision versus Nebraska Wesleyan to be the only Falcons who won all three bouts.
- Junior Miguel Betancourt (El Paso, Texas) added a 17-0 technical fall and 9-2 decision to his record against Wheaton and Nebraska Wesleyan.
- Slatton also defeated his Wheaton opponent with a 6-1 decision.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin travels to Fort Wayne, Ind., for the NWCA Duals on January 5-6.
Concordia Wisconsin at Jim Fox Duals
Saturday, December 16, 2017
Concordia Wisconsin 25, Dubuque 24
125: Matthew Saldana (CUW) won by fall Riley Sweetland (UD), 2:05
133: Ramiro Vasquez (CUW) tech. fall Armad Willis (UD), 19-4
141: Isaiah Williams (UD) won by forfeit
149: Zarik Anderson (UD) dec. Miguel Betancourt (CUW), 6-3
157: Kamen Wilmington (UD) won by forfeit
165: Alex Montbriand (CUW) maj. dec. Logan Sears (UD), 12-4
174: Merrick O`Donnell (CUW) maj. dec. Delmontae Davis (UD), 8-0
184: Ethan Cain (UD) won by fall Merrick O`Donnell (CUW), 1:36
197: Mitchell Slatton (CUW) won by fall Chris Nielson (UD), 2:49
285: Daniel Petrela (UD) dec. Samuel Olsen (CUW), 4-1
Wheaton 41, Concordia Wisconsin 13
125: Carlos Fuentez (WC) tech. fall Matthew Saldana (CUW), 20-4
133: Ramiro Vasquez (CUW) tech. fall Josiah Fitzjerrels (WC), 16-1
141: Cameron Calabrese (WC) won by forfeit
149: Miguel Betancourt (CUW) tech. fall Yosep Lee (WC), 17-0
157: Jonavon Huggins (WC) won by forfeit
165: Frank Aiello (WC) won by fall Eric Martinson (CUW), 3:57
174: Caleb Odell (WC) won by fall Alex Montbriand (CUW), 2:27
184: Isaac Odell (WC) won by fall Merrick O'Donnell (CUW), 1:24
197: Mitchell Slatton (CUW) dec. Tim Blickle (WC), 6-1
285: Max Gierke (WC) won by fall Mac Braylock (CUW), 5:43
Nebraska Wesleyan 30, Concordia Wisconsin 12
125: Matthew Saldana (CUW) maj. dec. Ryan Smales (NWU), 21-7
133: Ramiro Vasquez (CUW) maj. dec. Brayden Downing (NWU), 14-2
141: Jesse Malmker (NWU) won by forfeit
149: Miguel Betancourt (CUW) dec. Maison Clark (NWU), 9-2
157: Dustin Monroe (NWU) won by forfeit
165: Nathan Hunt (NWU) dec. Eric Martinson (CUW), 10-8
174: Matthew Fricke (NWU) dec. Alex Montbriand (CUW), 4-3
184: Alex Kerr (NWU) won by fall Merrick O'Donnell (CUW), 1:46
197: Ben Lodema (NWU) dec. Mitchell Slatton (CUW), 9-3
285: Justin Henessey (NWU) won by forfeit
NOTE: Each dual started at 141-pound weight class