MILWAUKEE, Wis. – Mason Baumgartner stood atop the podium and Mason Mergener finished second at the MSOE Invitational, but Concordia Wisconsin had mixed results on Saturday inside the Kern Center. Mitchell Slatton and Eli Were also wrestled well with a fifth place finish.
Location: Kern Center (Milwaukee, Wis.)
Falcon Top-Finisher: Mason Baumgartner -- 1st place (197 pounds)
Falcon Results: Matthew Saldana 1-2 (125), Joshua Curcio 0-2 (141), Miguel Betancourt 1-2 (149), Eli Were 4-2 (157), Christian Lofgren 0-2 (157), Eric Martinson 1-2 (165), Mason Mergener 3-1 (174), Alex Montibrand 1-2 (174), Mitchell Slatton 4-2 (184), Mason Baumgartner 3-0 (197), John Hinson 2-2 (285)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior Mason Baumgartner (Slinger, Wis.) controlled the 197-pound bracket with three-straight wins to put him atop the podium and a trophy in his hand. He pinned Ryan Socha (UW-Platteville) in just 43 seconds before earning back-to-back wins by decision. Baumgartner got past Matt Seabold (Central) by a 2-1 score before edging Michael Swider (Wheaton) by a point, 8-7, to win his tournament of the season.
- Senior Mason Mergener (Crivitz, Wis.) began his day with a pin over Evan Patterson (Millikin) in 6:33 before easily defeating Benjamin Keillor (St. Oalf) by a 16-1 technical fall result. He defeated Nathan Fritz (Central) by an 8-1 decision before advancing to the 174-pound title match. Mergener ended on his back during a 2:11 pin against Nick Ferraro to place second overall.
- Junior Mitchell Slatton (Granger, Ind.) won four matches during the day, but also lost two to take fifth place in the 184-pound division. He had a 12-3 major decision win over Travis Cripe (UW-Eau Claire) to start his day before losing his next match by decision. Slatton responded with back-to-back decision victories before losing again. He ended his day with a 7-3 decision victory over Cody Meyer (UW-Platteville) to take fifth.
- Freshman Eli Were (Brookfield, Wis.) earned a fifth place finish at 157 pounds after compiling a 4-2 record. He had two decision victories and also won by major decision, 22-13, over Connor Hanson (UW-Eau Claire). The rookie ended his day with a 10-8 sudden victory-1 result against Marcus McCauley (Lakeland) to place fifth overall.
- Senior John Hinson (Glendale, Ariz.) had a pair of wins, which were a pin in 2:06 against Austin Winter (Lakeland) and a 14-1 major decision result over Konnor Braughton (Hannibal La-Grange).
- Sophomore Eric Martinson (Milwaukee, Wis.) earned a 16-1 technical fall win over Garret Gross (MSOE) at 165 pounds.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons travel to Elmhurst for a Thursday CCIW dual at 7 pm.