MEQUON, Wis. – Senior Mason Mergener finished in third place in the 174-pound bracket, leading the Concordia University Wisconsin Wrestling team at its home open Saturday. Several of the top teams in the Midwest gathered inside the R. John Buuck Field House for the 24th Annual CUW Open.
- Location: R. John Buuck Field House – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Falcons Top Finisher – Mason Mergener – 3rd Place (174 Pounds)
- Falcons Results – Matthew Saldana 1-2 (125); Joshua Curcio 0-2 (141); Miguel Betancourt 2-2 (149); Christian Lofgren 0-2 (157); Eric Martinson 0-2 (165); Mergener 5-1 (174); Mitchell Slatton 2-2 (184); Roland Leos 0-2 (197); John Hinson 2-2 (285)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mergener (Crivitz, Wis.) had a strong day, posting a 5-1 record in the 174-pound bracket. He won his first three matches, two by decision and one via a tech fall, moving into the semifinals. Mergener fell in his semifinals bout but rebounded with a pair of wins for the third-place finish.
- A trio of Falcons posted two wins on Saturday as well, including senior John Hinson (Glendale, Ariz.) at the 285-pound bracket. Hinson won his first match, 2-0, before dropping his second. He would pick up a win in his next battle, a 4-1 decision before being eliminated.
- Also gaining a pair of wins on Saturday was sophomore Miguel Betancourt (El Paso, Texas) at 149 pounds and junior Mitchell Slatton (Granger, Ind.) at 184 pounds. Betancourt won his opening matchup by a 4-2 decision, while also gaining a 16-5 major decision in his third match.
- Slatton opened with a 5-4 win but fell in his second match. He would gain a pin in 1:55 in his third match before being eliminated.
- The Falcons will have next weekend off before returning to the mat Saturday, December 3 at the MSOE Open.