SHEBOYGAN, Wis. – Concordia University Wisconsin won five-consecutive bouts for 26-unanswered points to pull away in the second half of Wednesday's dual for a 32-10 victory at Lakeland College inside Woltzen Gymnasium.
Final Score: CUW 32, Lakeland 10
Location: Woltzen Gymnasium (Sheboygan, Wis.)
Records: CUW 4-2, Lakeland 0-4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons lost three of the first four bouts of the dual and fell behind 10-6. Freshman Ben Reagan (Wauwatosa, Wis.) won by forfeit for CUW's six points in the early going.
- The match started at 141 pounds and once CUW reached the 174 pound bout the momentum changed. Junior Mason Mergener (Crivitz, Wis.) began the five-bout winning streak for the Falcons with a pin in 2:01 over Zavier Gonzalez to give the visitors their first lead of the match, 12-10.
- Sophomore Mitchell Slatton (Granger, Ind.) picked up a 4-3 decision over Wesley Colton at 184 pounds before junior Mason Baumgartner (Slinger, Wis.) earned a dominating 16-0 technical fall win over Eddie Terres.
- Freshman Isiah Schlutz (Lake Station, Ind.) won by forfeit at 285 pounds, as did freshman Kameron Bourgeois (El Paso, Texas) at 125 pounds. Neither team had a 133 pound wrestler for the dual.
BEYOND THE RESULTS
- Freshman Eric Martinson (Milwaukee, Wis.) and junior Thomas Schmidt (Bonduel, Wis.) each won an exhibition dual at 165 and 174 pounds, respectively.
- CUW has defeated Lakeland in consecutive matches and four of the last five meetings.
- The Falcons scored 26 unanswered points in the match to pull away for the win.
- Mergener's pin in 2:01 was his fastest of the season.
- Baumgartner's bout was the first of the season for the junior, whose 2014-15 season ended due to injury.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons will take over three weeks off before returning to the mat on January 8 for their only home dual of the season against Elmhurst at 7 pm.