GREEN BAY, Wis. – Concordia University Wisconsin won four-straight bouts in the middle of the dual on Friday en route to a close 23-19 victory over UW-Eau Claire at the KI Convention Center.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 23, UW-Eau Claire 19
Location: KI Convention Center (Green Bay, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 2-0, UW-Eau Claire 0-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams traded wins during the first four bouts of the dual, but it was the Falcons who put together victories at 149, 157, 165 and 174 to gain the momentum and pull away. CUW won six of the 10 bouts during the dual.
- Freshman Kameron Bourgeois (Whitnall, Wis.) was pinned in 6:49 by his 125 pound opponent to start the match before sophomore Maxim Riederer (Milwaukee, Wis.) answered with a 4-1 decision win at 133 pounds.
- Junior Joshua Curcio (Granger, Ind.) lost a major decision bout, 14-2, at 141 pounds.
- Freshman Ben Reagan (Wauwatosa, Wis.) began CUW's 16-0 scoring run with a commanding 17-0 technical fall win to get the Falcons within two points, 10-8. Pierce Holtfreter (Las Vegas, Nev.) won by major decision victory, 15-4, at 157 pounds.
- Sophomore Quentin Lueck (Saukville, Wis.) followed with an exciting 5-3 sudden victory decision win at 165 pounds prior to junior Mason Mergener (Crivitz, Wis.) earned a 15-4 major decision win at 174 pounds.
- Sophomore Mitchell Slatton (Granger, Ind.) dropped a 4-0 decision at 184 pounds.
- Junior John Hinson (Glendale, Ariz.) finished with a 17-7 major decision victory at 197 pounds and sophomore Sam Olsen (Waukesha, Wis.) was pinned in 1:32 at 285 pounds.
BEYOND THE RESULTS
- The Falcons begin the season 2-0 in duals for the second-consecutive season.
- Hinson has now won two bouts by technical fall and major decision to start his season at 197 pounds.
- Reagan's two victories this season are both by technical fall. He has outscored his two opponents 34-1.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons travel to UW-Parkside, a NCAA Division II program, for a dual on Wednesday at 7 pm.