MEQUON, Wis. –Concordia Wisconsin took on Cornell on Senior Day for a chance to get another MWLC victory. The Falcons jumped ahead right away to coast to an impressive 19-4 conference win.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 19, Cornell 4
Location: Fitting Field (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 10-5, 9-1 MWLC; Cornell 6-8, 4-6 MWLC
HOW IT HAPPENED
- CUW started off quickly and rode the momentum all the way to the end. The Falcons scored 11 straight goals with the first one coming less than a minute into the game when freshman Ciara Bond (White Bear Lake, Minn.) received a perfect pass from senior Kjerstin Saarela (Sun Praire, Wis.). Senior Allison Kurek (Chicago, Ill.) netted four goals during the first half. Kurek was able to create plays all over the field, as she also assisted on two goals during that span.
- Cornell was able to get on the board at the end of the half, as they tried to keep up with the explosive Concordia Wisconsin offense. The Rams were able to cut the Falcons lead down to 10, as Vaughn Zittle scored with just under six minutes left in the first half to bring the score to 13-3 at halftime in favor of CUW.
- The second half was highlighted by two senior Caitlin Henry (Lansing, Ill.) goals, as she was able to score her hundredth goal of her career. CUW pushed the lead to 19-3 after a Kristen Kennedy goal with just under 3:30 to go in the second half. Caitlyn St. Marie was able to add the final goal of the evening with four seconds to go in the game for Cornell to make the score 19-4.
- Kurek was able to score a game high five goals and record two assist and nine draw controls. Junior Lauren Paquin (Waukesha, Wis.) scored four goals and picked up four ground balls, while also creating four turnovers. Henry also chipped in four goals and Saarela had two assists. Sophomore Kennedy Boyer (Saline, Mich.) was able to make five saves on the day. Concordia Wisconsin picked up 18 ground balls and won 19 draw controls.
- Cornell saw a two-goal performance from St. Marie and a goal from Barbie Becker. Kayla Boyd was in the net for the Rams, she was able to stop 10 shots.
- The Falcons will conclude the regular season against Augsburg on the road with the opening draw scheduled for 11:00 am.