MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin took on the Monmouth Scots in their first game of the weekend. The Falcons jumped ahead early and kept the Scots from finding their way back into the game. CUW took the MWLC victory by the score of 19-5.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 19, Monmouth 5
Location: Fitting Filed (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 9-5, 8-1 MWLC; Monmouth 2-10, 1-7 MWLC
QUOTING CAITLIN HENRY
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The sun was shining, and the offense was clicking for Concordia Wisconsin, as they started fast out of the gates. The Falcons took a three-goal lead after two goals from junior Lauren Paquin (Waukesha, Wis.) and senior Allison Kurek (Chicago, Ill.). Monmouth did respond with a goal from Kara-Jade Gordon who brought the score to 3-1 in favor of CUW with just over 21 minutes left in the first half.
- Concordia Wisconsin continued to get opportunities in front of the net and capitalized on those chances. CUW ended the first half up 10-3. Paquin totaled four goals in the half and had one assist, while Kurek had two goals and one assist during that span.
- After coming out of the intermission the CUW stayed the course and scored eight straight goals while locking up the defensive side to allow only two goals. Sophomore Nicole DeMeo (Niles, Ill.) fired in two goals during the second half, while freshman Ciara Bond (White Bear Lake, Minn.) and senior Caitlin Henry (Lansing, Ill.) pitched in one goal apiece.
- CUW had four players score three or more goals for the game as Kurek led all scorers with five goals. Concordia Wisconsin went 20-24 on the clear and caused 14 turnovers. The hosts also picked up 27 ground balls and sophomore Kennedy Boyer (Saline, Mich.) saved five shots in 60 minutes of play.
- The Scots saw a strong performance from attacker Gordon as she had three goals, while Tiana Cintron had one goal and one assist. Liz Reasoner was able to come away with 11 saves in 30 minutes of play.
- The Falcons will play their second game of the weekend against Cornell for Senior Day, which is scheduled for 1:00 pm.