MEQUON, Wis. – Knit caps, long sleeves, and a go-ahead goal in the last three minutes were all needed for Concordia Wisconsin to edge out Aurora, and come away with a 10-9 MWLC victory on a chilly Wednesday evening.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 10, Aurora 9
Location: Fitting Field (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 5-4, 4-1 MWLC; Aurora 4-4, 1-1 MWLC
QUOTING LAUREN PAQUIN
HOW IT HAPPENED
- In a tight game throughout and a conference victory on the line, the Falcons battled with the Spartans all the way down to the wire. Junior Lauren Paquin (Waukesha, Wis.) came through with the go-ahead goal, as she scored from a free position attempt with a perfectly placed bottom left corner shot that put CUW in the lead and ultimately gave them the victory. Paquin scored a game-high six goals and picked up three ground balls.
- Concordia Wisconsin trailed by one goal with just under 10 minutes left in the game when Aurora's Marina Kanner fired a goal into the back of the net and make the score 9-8 in favor of the Spartans. With a one-goal deficient and time running out CUW looked to Paquin to deliver and she did just that. Paquin netted both the tying and go-ahead goal.
- A strong first half aided Concordia Wisconsin as they scored three unanswered goals to take an early 3-2 lead with two of those goals coming from senior Caitlin Henry (Lansing, Ill.) and the other coming from Paquin. Aurora would answer back and the two teams would trade goals before CUW prevailed with a 7-5 halftime lead.
- The two teams were relatively even across the board with both teams coming up with 21 ground balls. The Falcons were 13-19 on clears and dominated the draw control winning 17 while the Spartans were only able to come away with two.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Paquin tied the record for most free position goals in a game with three.
- Concordia Wisconsin had five free position goals in today's game, which is good enough for fourth in program history.
- Concordia Wisconsin will take the field next against conference opponent Wartburg on Saturday at 1:00 pm.