MEQUON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Women's Hockey team concluded the 2016-17 season Saturday with a 4-1 setback against UW-Stevens Point. The Falcons celebrated the 2016-17 Senior Class as well, as five players were honored following the game. Brittany Sticha, Baylee Darling, Brandi Muller, Nicole Krumwiede and Veronika Metanova all finished their careers Saturday.
- Final Score: UWSP 4, Concordia Wisconsin 1
- Location: Ozaukee Ice Center – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 10-13-2; UWSP 13-10-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons fell behind 2-0 after two periods of play as the Pointers struck once in each of the first two stanzas. The Pointers dominated shots over the first 40 minutes (33-10) and received goals from Alex Grubbs and Cara Lemirande.
- UWSP would extend its lead to 3-0 just 11 seconds into the third period before the Falcons got on the board 55 seconds later with their only goal of the afternoon. Sophomore Jossa Danis (Brandon, Manitoba) deflected in a shot from Darling (Holmen, Wis.) for her third goal of the season.
- The Pointers put the game away with an empty-net goal with 1:10 remaining.
- The two teams combined for 14 penalties on Saturday with the Falcons spending 16 minutes in the box on eight infractions. The Pointers were whistled six times for 12 minutes in the box. UWSP finished with one power play goal, while the Falcons were 0-for-5 with the advantage.
- Freshman Breanna Thomson (St. Marys, Ontario) stopped 35 shots for the Falcons. Her counterpart, Marit Larson, made 18 saves in getting the win.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons seniors ended their careers as the winningest graduating class with 38 victories. In addition, they are the first graduating class with two double-digit win seasons (2014-15; 2016-17).
- Metanova ends her career as the Falcons all-time leading scorer with 90 points. She also owns the career assists mark as well.
- The Falcons ended the 2016-17 season with 10 wins, marking the third time in program history CUW has finished the season with double-digit victories.