ADRIAN, Mich. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Women's Hockey team had its offense firing on all cylinders in the early goings of an NCHA matchup at No. 4 Adrian Saturday afternoon. The Falcons score four times in the first 23 minutes of play, building a 4-1 lead. Unfortunately, Adrian found its offensive rhythm the rest of the way, resulting in a 6-4 setback for the Falcons.
- Final Score: No. 4 Adrian 6, Concordia Wisconsin 4
- Location: Arrington Ice Arena – Adrian, Michigan
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 6-7-2, 2-5-2 NCHA; Adrian 12-2, 10-0 NCHA
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After being shutout last night, the Falcons came out fired up with three first-period goals. The first of those came on the power play as senior Baylee Darling (Holmen, Wis.) scored 8:53 into the period. Her third goal of the season was assisted by junior Lexi Holman (Sauk Rapids, Minn.) and senior Brandi Muller (Anchorage, Alaska).
- Adrian would score at the 15:26 mark of the first period, but the Falcons tallied two goals late in the opening stanza for a 3-1 lead. Freshman Natasha Wanless (Madison, Wis.) scored just 50 seconds after the Bulldogs tied the game, coming off an assist from freshman Emily Godwin (London, Ontario). Muller then made the score 3-1 with just 11 seconds remaining in the first on a shorthanded score.
- The Falcons continued to build their lead with a goal 2:07 into the second period, the second score of the game and eighth of the season for Muller. Senior Veronika Metanova (Palatine, Ill.) assisted on the goal.
- Adrian responded with a goal 29 seconds later to make the score 4-2. The score would remain 4-2 until late in the second period when the Bulldogs struck for two goals. Kristi Zink scored a power play goal for Adrian with 1:49 left in the second, while Kristin Lewicki tallied a score with 16 seconds remaining before the second intermission to tie the game at 4-4.
- The game-winning goal came from Brook Lupi on the power play midway through the final period. The Bulldogs would tally on another late score for the 6-4 final.
- Freshman Breanna Thomson (St. Marys, Ontario) made 38 saves for the Falcons. Adrian played two goaltenders as the Falcons forced their starter from the game after one period. Jade Walsh got the win for Adrian, making eight stops over the final two periods of play.
- CUW was 1-for-5 on the power play and also had the Muller shorthanded goal, providing a decent special teams effort. Adrian finished the game with two power play goals on seven chances.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Muller became the 12th player in program history to reach 20 career goals with her two-goal effort.
- Metanova moved to within 10 points of Sarah Luberda (86, 2007-11) on the Falcons career points list. Metanova is second all-time with 76 career points.
- The Falcons will face another tough test next weekend with two home games against No. 7 Lake Forest. The first of those is set for Friday night at 7 p.m. at the Ozaukee Ice Center.