BLAINE, Minn. – Senior Baylee Darling scored with 1:14 remaining in regulation to help the Concordia University Wisconsin Women's Hockey team to a 2-1 win over Bethel University Saturday afternoon. Darling's goal gave the Falcons a weekend sweep over the Royals and moved CUW to 6-5-2 on the season.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 2, Bethel 1
- Location: Bethel University Arena – Blaine, Minnesota
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 6-5-2; Bethel 6-5-2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The game was tied 1-1 heading into the final stanza and would remain that way until Darling's (Holmen, Wis.) game-winner. Her score with 1:14 left was assisted by senior Veronika Metanova (Palatine, Ill.) and freshman Natasha Wanless (Madison, Wis.).
- The Falcons trailed 1-0 after one period of play but evened the score at 1-1 late in the second period. Junior Lexi Holman (Sauk Rapids, Minn.) scored her second goal in as many days with 3:12 remaining before the second intermission. Metanova added an assist on the Holman score, giving the senior a four-point weekend.
- The Royals had the lone score of the opening 20 minutes, coming off the stick of Kaitlyn VanTassel. The goal came 2:42 into play and was recorded on the power play, the lone power play score of the game.
- Freshman Breanna Thomson (St. Marys, Ontario) picked up her second win of the season, making 23 saves. The Falcons were outshot 24-15 on Saturday.
- The two teams combined for 20 minutes in the box, with Bethel spending 12 minutes in the penalty box, while the Falcons committed eight minutes worth of infractions. CUW was 0-for-4 on the power play, while Bethel converted 1-of-3 chances.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The game-winning goal was the second of Darling's career. Her other game-winner also came in the state of Minnesota as she scored with 3:13 left in a 3-2 win over Augsburg during her sophomore season.
- The Falcons will return to NCHA play next weekend with a two-game road series at No. 5 Adrian. The opener is set for Friday night at 7 p.m. eastern time.