BLAINE, Minn. – Senior Veronika Metanova became the second player in Concordia University Wisconsin Women's Hockey history to score two shorthanded goals in one game, helping the Falcons to a 3-1 non-conference win at Bethel Friday night. Metanova's shorthanded scores both came in the second period.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 3, Bethel 1
- Location: Bethel University Arena – Blaine, Minnesota
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 5-5-2; Bethel 6-4-1
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a scoreless first period, Metanova put the Falcons up 2-0 in the second with her shorthanded scoring frenzy. Her first came 14:34 into the stanza and was unassisted, while her second was aided by an assist from senior Brandi Muller (Anchorage, Alaska). Metanova's second shorthanded score happened with 2:51 left in the second.
- CUW wasted little time building its lead to 3-0 as junior Lexi Holman (Sauk Rapids, Minn.) lit the lamp seven seconds into the third period. The goal by Holman was the fasted in program history to begin a period, topping the nine seconds Emily Heckendorf needed in a game during the 2011-12 season. Muller also recorded an assist on the Holman goal.
- Bethel got on the board just 36 seconds later in the final stanza, but Christina Pattengale (Portage, Mich.) and the Falcons defense stayed strong the rest of the way to secure the 3-1 win.
- Pattengale picked up her third win of the season with a 23-save performance. Ten of those saves came in the first period, while seven were tallied in the final 20 minutes of play. Both teams finished the game with 24 shots on goal as Michelle Klimstra made 21 saves for the Royals.
- The Falcons spent 17 minutes in the box, being whistled for seven infractions. CUW was strong on the penalty kill, stopping all six of the Royals chances. The Falcons were 0-for-4 on the power play.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Metanova joins Jaime Athens as Falcons to net two shorthanded goals in one game. Athens did so on January 30, 2010, in a 7-0 win over Marian. Metanova was the first player to record two shorthanded goals in the same period in CUW history.
- These two teams will conclude the two-game series tomorrow with a 3 p.m. start.