MEQUON, Wis. -- Concordia Wisconsin nearly overcame a 20-point first-quarter deficit on Tuesday evening, but UW-Platteville pulled away in the last minute-plus for a 75-68 non-conference win inside the R. John Buuck Field House.
Final Score: UW-Platteville 75, Concordia Wisconsin 68
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: UW-Platteville 2-0, Concordia Wisconsin 0-1
QUOTING HEAD COACH STACEY BRUNNER-JONES
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons struggled from the opening tipoff, shooting just 10 percent and making one field goal in the first quarter, which led to a 20-point deficit after 10 minutes of play. While the large hole created could have sent some teams in a negative direction, this squad continued to fight back. As the game progressed they slowly got closer and closer until the scoreboard read 66-65 with 1:31 to play in favor of the visitors.
- UW-Platteville would make 7-of-8 free throws down the stretch to hang on the for the victory, while Concordia Wisconsin had its chances but couldn't get the ball to go in.
- The Falcons shot 62.5 percent during the third quarter and 45.3 percent (24-of-53) for the game. They won the turnover battle, committing 14 errors and forcing 16 Pioneer turnovers.
- Senior Kaitlyn Foster (Janesville, Wis.) played just over 38 minutes and scored a career-high-tying 20 points on 9-of-15 shooting. She also had three assists, two steals and a block.
- Sophomore Camryn Szolyga (Waukesha, Wis.) tallied 16 points, six rebounds, three assists, two steals and a block. Junior Emily Hafemann (Hales Corners, Wis.) recorded 12 points, seven rebounds, three assists and two steals. Senior Clara Chambers (Mineral Point, Wis.) scored 10 points.
- UW-Platteville was led by Morgan Horstman who had 26 points and seven rebounds.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Concordia Wisconsin responded from being down 20 points with a 62-43 scoring run over 22 minutes and 21 seconds.
- The Falcons held a 19-15 advantage in points off turnovers, 40-34 different in points in the paint and scored 10 points off nine offensive rebounds.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin begins a three-game road trip with a November 20 non-conference game at North Central at 7 pm.