MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia Wisconsin was on the brink of a confidence-building victory at home before the Christmas break, but couldn't slow down UW-Whitewater in the final minutes during a 68-62 non-conference loss inside the R. John Buuck Field House.
Final Score: UW-Whitewater 68, Concordia Wisconsin 62
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: UW-Whitewater 6-3, Concordia Wisconsin 4-4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UW-Whitewater entered the matchup receiving votes in the latest D3Hoops.com Top-25 poll, but that didn't matter to Concordia Wisconsin as it was within two points at halftime, trailing 34-32.
- After the intermission, it looked as if the Warhawks were going to pull away for good, as they went on a 16-1 scoring run over the first five-plus minutes of the third quarter. It wasn't until Kaitlyn Foster and Clara Chambers drained back-to-back 3-pointers, which put some life back into the Falcons and gave them the energy it needed.
- Baylee Barker scored four points within 17 seconds before the third quarter ended and the offensive spark continued when Foster hit another 3-pointer to put the hosts within six points, 56-50, with 9:13 to play in the game. Minutes later a 7-0 scoring run had the scoreboard reading 62-62 and thoughts of an upset were beginning.
- UW-Whitewater tightened up its defense and held Concordia Wisconsin scoreless over the final two minutes and 50 seconds to pull away with the victory.
- Barker (senior, Oconomowoc, Wis.) and freshman Camryn Szolyga (Waukesha, Wis.) each had 12 points for the Falcons. Chambers (junior, Mineral Point, Wis.) added 11 points.
- Becky Deichl had a game-high 17 points (7-of-9 free throws), to go along with five rebounds and four blocks. Emily Schumacher added 14 points, while Olivia Freckmann had five points and 10 rebounds.
- The Falcons harassed the Warhawks all game outside the 3-point line, holding the visitors to just 3-of-17 (17.9 percent).
- UW-Whitewater ended with a 46-32 advantage in rebounding, including 16-8 on the offensive glass.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- Concordia Wisconsin will have off for the Christmas holiday before returning to action on December 29 at Illinois Tech, with tipoff scheduled for 2 pm.