RIVER FOREST, Ill. – Madelyn Landgraf drained 13 free throws in the fourth quarter and Concordia University Wisconsin upended Concordia University Chicago, 83-71, during the opening day of the Concordia Invitational Tournament.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 83, Concordia Chicago 71
Location: Geiseman Gymnasium (River Forest, Ill.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 15-3 (12-2 NACC), Concordia Chicago 7-11 (5-9 NACC)
HOW IT HAPPENEND
- The Falcons struggled in the opening quarter and fell behind by as many as nine points, but responded with a great defensive effort in the second quarter. They held the Cougars to eight points and owned a 35-32 lead at the intermission.
- CUW used another strong defensive effort in the third quarter, holding Concordia Chicago to 13 points and pushing the advantage to as many as 13 points before the period ended.
- The main reason the Falcons pulled away from the Cougars on the offensive side of the court were their 30-of-38 performance at the free throw line. Senior Madelyn Landgraf (Elkhart Lake, Wis.) ended the game 16-of-19 and a season-best 24 points.
- Sophomore Katelyn Sewall (Menasha, Wis.) added 17 points, including three 3-pointers, and four rebounds. Sophomore Audrey Scharmer (Winona, Minn.) scored 10 points, pulled down seven rebounds and stole three passes.
- Senior Megan Coenen (Green Bay, Wis.) had 16 points and 10 rebounds, for her first double-double of the season.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons 30 free throws made is the second most in a game in program history. However, Landgraf's 16 free throws made set a new game record.
- CUW scored 20 points in three quarters in the same game for the second time this season.
- Morgan Jahnke scored a team-best 21 points on 8-of-16 shooting, while Miranda Rogers added 12 points. Sarah Smith and Lauren Orr each finished with eight points, respectively.
- Courtney Lofink dished out a game-best 13 assists.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons will play Concordia Nebraska in the CIT Championship game on Saturday at 5 pm.