MEQUON, Wis. – Concordia University Wisconsin controlled Marian University during Tuesday night's 78-64 victory inside the R. John Buuck Field House. The victory moved the Falcons into a tie for first place in the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference standings.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 78, Marian 64
Location: R. John Buuck Field House (Mequon, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 11-3 (8-2 NACC), Marian 5-10 (3-7 NACC)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- CUW separated itself in the second quarter, outscoring Marian 25-14 to take a commanding 44-27 lead into the locker room at halftime. The Falcons extended their advantage to as many as 22 points in the third quarter behind three starters who scored in double-figures.
- The win moves the Falcons into a tie for first place atop the NACC standings with MSOE and Wisconsin Lutheran. As well, there are three other teams within two games of the three-way tie.
- CUW led by 22 points with nine minutes to play in the game before Marian slowly chipped away and got to within 11 points with 3:10 left on the clock. The Falcons six-consecutive free throws during a 40 second span to retake control of the game. Four of those free throws were made by freshman Baylee Barker (Oconomowoc, Wis.).
- Senior Madelyn Landgraf (Elkhart Lake, Wis.) poured in 18 points, including two 3-pointers, to go along with two assists and two steals. Barker and sophomore Katelyn Sewall (Menasha, Wis.) each added 13 points.
- Sophomore Audrey Scharmer (Winona, Minn.) scored nine points and grabbed 11 rebounds, but turned the ball over five times. Junior Samantha Blissett (Springfield, Ill.) recorded three points, four rebounds, four assists and two steals.
- The Falcons nearly shot 50 percent for the second time this season, ending at 49.2 percent (29-of-59), while also making 45.5 percent (5-of-11) shots from long range. They also were much improved at the free throw line making 15-of-20 attempts.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- CUW is one victory why of tying its five-game winning streak from earlier this season.
- Barker's 13 points were a career high, as well as her four field goals made.
- Junior Taylor DeLong (Milwaukee, Wis.) swatted a career-best-tying two shots.
- The Falcons led for nearly 37 minutes and scored 20-plus points in a quarter for the third time during their recent four-game winning streak.
- CUW took advantage of Marian's 13 turnovers scoring 17 points off those errors.
- The Falcons 78 points were the most in a game this season.
- Brittany Bauman led the Sabres with 17 points, nine rebounds, five assists and a steal.
- Hunter Godfroy added 12 points, while Jessica Roberts tallied 10 points off the bench.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons host Rockford on Saturday at 4:15 pm inside the R. John Buuck Field House.