SHEBOYGAN, Wis. – Another balanced team effort and stifling defense kept Concordia University Wisconsin undefeated with a 70-44 victory at Lakeland College on Tuesday night. The Falcons played everyone that suited and held the Muskies to 27.7 percent shooting.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 70, Lakeland 44
Location: Woltzen Gymnasium (Sheboygan, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 5-0 (4-0 NACC), Lakeland 1-6 (1-2 NACC)
"It was another great team victory and our depth was key aspect," head coach Stacey Brunner-Jones. "Our defense was aggressive and it dictated parts of tonight's game, which allowed us to take control. We didn't take care of the basketball like we should have and that needs to improve. However, we made our free throws and shared the basketball."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- CUW led by six points after the opening 10 minutes of play and slowly increased its lead as each quarter passed. The Falcons eventually blew the game wide open by outscored the hosts 29-17 in the fourth period.
- Senior Madelyn Landgraf (Elkhart Lake, Wis.) with a game-high 19 points, which include three 3-pointers. She also assisted on two field goals, stole two passes and blocked a shot.
- Sophomore Brianna Wagner (Fond du Lac, Wis.) had a career-game rebounding with 16 (three offensive), while also stealing a pair of passes and blocking two shots.
- Sophomore Audrey Scharmer (Winona, Minn.) had a stellar game off the bench with six points, 10 rebounds, a career-best five assists, two steals and a block in 17 minutes of action.
- The Falcons were much improved at the charity stripe, making 17-of-23 attempts (73.9 percent). The starting five were 10-of-13 at the free throw line.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons have now defeated each opponent this season by a minimum of 15 points. They have also held the opposition to below 30 percent shooting in each of the last two games.
- In all, 13 Falcons registered a point and seven had at least six points.
- CUW's 29 points in the fourth quarter were the most in a quarter this season.
- Lakeland couldn't reach double-figures in two of the four quarters, which was the first time this season the Falcons held an opponent to single digits in two quarters in the same game.
- The Falcons bench outscored the Muskies, 31-15.
- CUW held a 28 point lead in the game and have had a 20-plus point lead in every game this season.
- Freshman Marciarae' Harmon (Milwaukee, Wis.) finished with a career-best in assists (3), steals (2) and blocks (1).
- Wagner's 16 rebounds were tied for the ninth most in a game in program history.
- CUW's 17 free throws made and 18 assists were both season highs.
- Rachel Stankevich paced the Muskies with 16 points on 8-of-15 shooting, to go along with five rebounds. Kayla Clark added eight points and four rebounds.
- The Muskies starters scored 29 of the teams 44 points.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons return from their four-game road trip with a home matchup on Saturday against Aurora. Tipoff is scheduled for 4:15 pm.