RIVER FOREST, Ill. – Concordia University Wisconsin blew the game wide open in the third quarter of Saturday afternoon's 75-52 victory at Dominican University. The Falcons received 45 points from the bench and had two reserves score in double-figures.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 75, Dominican 52
Location: Igini Sports Forum (River Forest, Ill.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 4-0 (3-0 NACC), Dominican 1-6 (1-2 NACC)
QUOTING STACEY BRUNNER-JONES
"Our defense again played well, especially in the third quarter, and forced 20 turnovers," head coach Stacey Brunner Jones said. "I believe we are starting to gel as a team and finding our style of play. It's still early but I'm happy with our progress. Shelby and Audrey stepped up and played extremely well tonight, and anytime we can play 15 players were are doing things right."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- There were four lead changes and a pair of scoring ties during the first 20 minutes of play. Following a halftime speech by Brunner-Jones, CUW exited the locker room and went on an 11-2 scoring run during a five minute and 11 second span to take complete control.
- Freshman Shelby Otto (Greenleaf, Wis.) had a breakout game with a career-high 13 points on 5-of-5 shooting, including 3-of-5 at the free throw line, in 13 minutes of action. She also hauled in a career-best seven rebounds and stole a pass.
- Sophomore Audrey Scharmer (Winona, Minn.) recorded the first double-double of the season for the Falcons with 11 points and 11 rebounds. She also had two assist, steal and a block in 17 minutes on the court.
- Junior Taylor DeLong (Milwaukee, Wis.) netted nine points and grabbed four rebounds in 13 minutes off the bench, while freshman starter Marciarae' Harmon a career-high tallied eight points and five rebounds. Senior Madelyn Landgraf (Elkhart Lake, Wis.) ended with seven points, three rebounds, three assists and a career-high-tying four steals.
- CUW shot 47.7 percent (31-of-65) and made 61.9 percent (13-of-21) of its free throw attempts.
- A 46-33 rebounding advantage and 10 steals helped the Falcons win the road game.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons scored a season-high 23 points in a quarter for the third time this season. During the third quarter they shot 9-of-13 from the field and made 5-of-7 from the charity stripe.
- Scharmer's double-double was the sixth of her young career. Freshman Baylee Barker (Oconomowoc, Wis.) assisted on a career-best four field goals.
- Dominican outscored CUW 19-18 in the fourth quarter and of the 16 quarter the Falcons have played this season it was just the third time they were outscored during a quarter.
- The Falcons 75 points tied a season high, which they also accomplished in the season opener against Beloit (November 18).
- CUW outrebounded an opponent by double-digits for the second time this season. They pulled down 46 rebounds (15 offensive), while Dominican had 33 rebounds (10 offensive).
- The Falcons failed to make a 3-point attempt for the second time this season. However, they tallied a season-best 54 points in the paint and tallied double-digit points in the paint in each quarter.
- Every Falcon opponent this season has turned the ball over at least 20 times this season.
- CUW's 31 points lead was the largest of the season.
- Sophomore Kelsey Herrera (Chicago, Ill.) scored her first career points on a jumper with 2:12 to play in the game.
- Shamia Clark led all players with 14 points, while Claudia DeNigris added 13 points. Each player saw 30 minutes of action off the bench. Clark also grabbed 11 rebounds (three offensive) for a double-double.
- Allie Tapanes had 10 points on 3-of-12 shooting, while making a pair of long balls.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons conclude their four-game road trip with a 7 pm tipoff on Tuesday at Lakeland.