FOND dU LAC, Wis. – Madelyn Landgraf took over the game from the tip and a dominating defensive effort in the second quarter pushed Concordia University Wisconsin to a 61-46 victory over Marian University on Saturday afternoon during Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference play.
Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 61, Marian 46
Location: Sadoff Gymnasium (Fond du Lac, Wis.)
Records: Concordia Wisconsin 3-0 (2-0 NACC), Marian 2-2 (0-1 NACC)
"I am happy with how we played today," head coach Stacey Brunner-Jones said. "Anytime we can gain a conference win on the road, we will take it. We played well again on defense and forced 20 turnovers, but more importantly we had a balanced offensive attack. When we can spread the floor and get easy buckets inside because of our guards ability to knock down a 3-pointer, it is difficult on our opponents. I am happy with this team victory."
HOW IT HAPPENED
- A dominating second quarter, in which the Falcons outscored the Sabres 13-4 pushed all the momentum in favor of the visitors. CUW went on to push its advantage to 20 points before the third quarter ended.
- The Falcons never trailed in the game and led by double-figures the entire second half. They again went to the painted area and scored 28 points, while accumulating 19 points off 20 Sabres turnovers.
- CUW charged out of the gates and built a quick 15-4 lead just over seven minutes into the game. During the scoring run senior Madelyn Landgraf scored 13 points, including the Falcons first 10 points.
- Landgraf (Elkhart Lake, Wis.) led all scorers with a season-high 22 points on 8-of-14 shooting, including four 3-pointers. She also had three rebounds and three assists.
- Sophomore Brianna Wagner (Fond du Lac, Wis.) netted 12 points on 5-of-10 shooting in a homecoming effort, while also pulling down six rebounds and stealing two passes.
- Freshman Baylee Barker (Oconomowoc, Wis.) scored nine points and senior Megan Coenen (Green Bay, Wis.) pulled down a game-best eight rebounds, including three offensive.
- Do-it-all player Samantha Blissett (junior, Springfield, Ill.) had two points, four rebounds, four assists and two steals in 25 minutes on the court.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Overall, the Falcons shot 50 percent (20-of-40) inside the 3-point line during the victory.
- CUW held Marian below 40 percent shooting in the second and fourth quarters.
- The Falcons bench was outscored 20-19, mainly because two starters scored in double-digits.
- Brittany Bauman led the Sabres with 14 points, while Jessica Roberts had 11 points in a reserve role after shooting 5-of-7. Bauman led the hosts with seven rebounds and three steals, while Brandi Bender also stole three passes.
NEXT ON THE SCHEDULE
- The Falcons continue their four-game road trip on Saturday, December 5 with a 4:15 pm matchup at Dominican.