CLERMONT, Fla. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team fell in a pair of games Sunday on the Falcons spring trip in Florida. The Falcons dropped their opening game, 13-1, against SUNY Geneseo before being defeated by UW-River Falls, 8-4.
- Final Scores: Geneseo 13, CUW 1; UW-River Falls 8, CUW 4
- Location: Clermont, Florida
- Records: CUW 4-4; Geneseo 4-0; UW-River Falls 4-1
GENESEO 13, CUW 1
- The Falcons couldn't slow down a talented Knights lineup as they fell behind 10-0 after two innings of play. Geneseo finished the game with 16 hits, including home runs from Anna Merante and Abbey Whitney.
- CUW scored its only run in the fourth inning when Allison Peters (Elk Grove, Ill.) crossed home on a wild pitch. Peters finished the game with one of the Falcons two hits, a double in the fourth.
- Katelyn Kohl (Jackson, Wis.) worked two scoreless innings in the circle for the Falcons. Molly O'Connell (New London, Wis.) was the pitcher of record as she lasted two-thirds of an inning in the contest. The Knights Taylor Moore went the distance, pitching five innings and allowing just two hits and one run.
UW-RIVER FALLS 8, CUW 4
- With the game tied 3-3 after four innings of play, UW-River Falls used a five-run fifth inning to pull away from CUW in the second contest. UW-River Falls had the long ball working, hitting three in the contest, including one from Maddie Studnicka who started the fifth with a solo shot.
- CUW took the lead with one run in the first inning before seeing UW-River Falls score three times in the top of the fourth. CUW responded with two runs in the bottom of the fourth before the five-run fifth for UW-River Falls.
- Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) paced the Falcons with three hits, while Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.) and Kalli Roulette (Manitowoc, Wis.) added two hits apiece. Aiyana Ledwein led UW-River Falls by going 3-for-3 with a home run and a double.
- Nicole Lewis (Manhattan, Ill.) got the start for the Falcons and worked four innings, surrendering seven runs, six earned. She was relieved in the middle of the fifth by Jenna Pozezinski (Lake Villa, Ill.). O'Connell threw the final two innings, both scoreless frames.
- The Falcons will play two more tomorrow in the Sunshine State. CUW will take on Anderson at 2 eastern time before playing Lake Forest at 4:30.