MILWAUKEE – A five-run fifth inning capped off by a two-run home run from Carly Sobrilsky powered the Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team to a 6-5 win over Aurora Saturday morning. The Falcons will now take on Benedictine in the NACC Championship at 11 a.m., needing to beat the Eagles twice.
- Final Score: CUW 6, Aurora 5
- Location: Alverno Softball Field – Milwaukee, Wis.
- Records: CUW 30-11; Aurora 28-16
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons trailed 4-0 after a four-run top of the second for Aurora. CUW scored in the bottom of the second, a RBI double by Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.).
- The 4-1 score remained until the fifth inning when the Falcons erupted for five runs. Sara Rosenow (Appleton, Wis.) started the rally with a solo home run.
- With two outs in the frame, Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) ripped a two-RBI double to tie the game at four. The next batter was the Falcons all-time home run leader in Sobrilsky, who delivered CUW the lead with a two-run shot.
- Aurora threatened in both the sixth and seventh innings, even scoring once in the sixth. In both frames, Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) escaped a bases-loaded jam to close out the 6-5 win. Brekke went the distance for her 19th win of the season. She scattered seven hits and allowed just two earned runs with five strikeouts.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Falcons advance to the NACC Championship for the third time in program history. CUW won the title as a No. 6 seed in 2009 and finished second to Aurora in 2015.
- This marks the second time CUW has reached 30 wins in a season. The 2011 Falcons won a program-best 32 games.
- The Falcons will play Benedictine at 11 a.m. in the first championship. If CUW wins, the two will play again immediately after. Live coverage links are available at CUWFalcons.com and updates will also be provided via the CUWFalcons Twitter account.