MILWAUKEE – Emily Brekke tossed a two-hit shutout to lead the Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team to a 7-0 win over Marian in the Falcons NACC Tournament opener. The Falcons will advance to tomorrow's 3 p.m. game and take on the winner of top-seeded Benedictine and fifth-seeded Dominican.
- Final Score: Concordia Wisconsin 7, Marian 0
- Location: Alverno Softball Field – Milwaukee
- Records: CUW 29-10; Marian 27-15
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) was in control throughout allowing a hit in the second and fourth innings, otherwise retiring the side in order. She needed just 82 pitches to record the 21 outs, finishing the game with two strikeouts and no free passes.
- CUW took the lead in the bottom of the second on a two-out, two-RBI double by Allison Peters (Elk Grove, Ill.). Peters double plated Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.) and Jacqueline deWerff (Hartland, Wis.), who was in the game as a pinch-runner for Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.).
- The Falcons broke the game open with five runs in the bottom of the fifth inning. Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) started the scoring in the fifth with a two-RBI double, plating Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) and Molly O'Connell (New London, Wis.). Weinberger would then come around to score on a RBI single off the bat of Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.).
- Rosenow put the game out of reach with a two-RBI single up the middle. Reiser and Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.) came around to score on Rosenow hit.
- Each of the Falcons top three hitters, Zazas, O'Connell, and Weinberger, collected two hits to pace the offense.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Marian advanced to play CUW by virtue of a win earlier the day over No. 3 MSOE, 7-6. The Sabres were the sixth and final team in the tournament.
- The Falcons advance to face the winner of Benedictine/Dominican tomorrow at 3 p.m.