MEQUON, Wis. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team dropped a pair of NACC contests Friday afternoon against Benedictine. The Falcons fell 6-4 in the opener before a 5-1 setback in game two. Benedictine, which entered the day one game behind CUW in the NACC standings, moves into first place with two games to play.
- Final Scores: Benedictine 6, CUW 4; Benedictine 5, CUW 1
- Location: CUW Softball Field – Mequon, Wisconsin
- Records: Benedictine 29-9, 17-3 NACC; CUW 27-9, 16-4 NACC
BENEDICTINE 6, CUW 4 (GAME ONE)
- The Falcons shaky defense in the first and third innings allowed the Eagles to jump out to a 4-0 lead. A couple of CUW errors, paired with a solo home run by Courtney Grasz put Benedictine up 2-0 in the first. CUW then allowed two unearned runs in the third for the four-run deficit.
- CUW would plate two in the bottom of the third on a triple by Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.). Grasz put Benedictine up three, however, with her second home run of the game in fifth. Benedictine would add a run in the sixth for a second four-run lead of the game.
- The Falcons once again cut into the Eagles lead with a two-run single by Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) in the bottom of the sixth inning. Benedictine was able to halt the rally there, finishing the game with the 6-4 win.
- Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) saw her record fall to 16-5 with the game one setback. She allowed six runs, only three of those earned, and struck out three batters. Holly Haberkorn went the distance in getting the win for Benedictine.
BENEDICTINE 5, CUW 1 (GAME TWO)
- The Falcons led 1-0 all the way up until the top of the fifth inning when once again the defense made miscues. CUW committed three errors in the fifth and Benedictine capitalized with five runs, two of those unearned.
- The CUW run in the game came on a RBI single by Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.), scoring Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) in the second. Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) had the only extra-base hit for CUW in game two with a double.
- Molly O'Connell (New London, Wis.) was dealt the loss in the opener despite delivering a strong start. O'Connell had the Eagles shut out until the fourth. Her final line was four innings, five runs allowed, three of those earned with one strikeout. Brekke came on for the final nine outs and did not allow a hit.
- Nicole Parney went the distance for the Eagles, scattering five hits. She gave up one unearned run.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- The Eagles now sit a game up on the Falcons in the NACC standings, while MSOE is 15-4 and was in the middle of its second game on Friday at the time of this release. Benedictine plays host to Dominican tomorrow.
- The Falcons saw two winning streaks snapped Friday. CUW entered having won eight straight, as well as having won 18 straight at home.
- The Falcons will visit Concordia Chicago for a doubleheader tomorrow. First pitch is set for noon.