ROCKFORD, Ill. – The Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team pushed its winning streak to eight with a doubleheader sweep over Rockford Sunday afternoon. The Falcons scored a 16-3 win in the opener, before rolling to a 10-1 victory in game two, winning both games via the eight-run rule.
- Final Scores: CUW 16, Rockford 3 (F/5); CUW 10, Rockford 1 (F/5)
- Location: Smith Athletic Field – Rockford, Illinois
- Records: CUW 27-7, 16-2 NACC; Rockford 6-28, 1-17 NACC
CUW 16, ROCKFORD 3 (GAME ONE)
- Carly Sobrilsky (Brookfield, Wis.) moved into a tie for first-place in Falcons history in career home runs in the opener with her 24th round-tripper. The senior paced the Falcons offense with a 4-for-4 performance, scoring two runs and driving in three. CUW used six-run innings in the second and fifth to help down the Regents.
- Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) finished the opener with three hits and a couple runs scored, while Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) went 3-for-4 with a triple, three runs scored and three RBIs. Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) added two hits, two runs, and three RBIs for the Falcons.
- Also chipping in for CUW in the opener was Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.) with a pair of hits and two RBI. Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) added two hits for the Falcons, while Emma Schimberg (Random Lake, Wis.) tripled in her only plate appearance. Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.) and Allison Peters (Elk Grove, Ill.) added doubles in the 13-run win.
- Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) tied the Falcons single-season wins record in the opener, recording her 16th victory. Only Melissa Perkins (2013-2016) and Brekke have reached 16 wins in a season in program history, with Perkins accomplishing the feat three times. Brekke threw three innings in the opener, while Nicole Lewis (Manhattan, Ill.) tossed two scoreless innings of relief with three strikeouts.
CUW 10, ROCKFORD 1 (GAME TWO)
- The Falcons did all their scoring in the fourth inning in game two, plating 10 runs. CUW trailed 1-0 after a Rockford run in the first, but used the big fourth to secure the sweep.
- Sharon got CUW on the board with a RBI triple before Holsten and Peters each hit two-RBI inside-the-park home runs to make the score 5-1 in favor of the Falcons. Molly O'Connell (New London, Wis.) then made the score 6-0 with a RBI single, plating Zazas.
- Sobrilsky drove in her fourth and fifth runs of the day with a two-RBI singles in the frame. Holsten completed the inning with her second RBI hit, a single plating Lauren Sulikowski (Orland Park, Ill.).
- O'Connell went the distance in the circle, allowing just one unearned run in the first inning. She scattered four hits and struck out one in her eighth win of the season.
- Holsten paced the Falcons offense with another three-hit attack, finishing a triple away from the cycle. O'Connell, Sobrilsky, and Peters all collected two hits, while Zazas added a triple in the nine-run win.
BEYOND THE BOX SCORE
- Sobrilsky is now tied with Cara Landherr on top of the Falcons home run leaderboard. The Falcons catcher has five home runs this season and hit a career-best in 2015.
- CUW will look to continue its winning streak with a home non-conference doubleheader against UW-Platteville Wednesday. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.