MILWAUKEE – The Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team features a dangerous lineup from top to bottom and when all players are zoned in, it can make for a difficult time for its opponents. On Saturday, Alverno found that out the hard way as the Falcons combined for 19 runs over two games, sweeping the Inferno with 10-0 and 9-5 wins.
- Final Scores: CUW 10, Alverno 0 (F/5 - Game One): CUW 9, Alverno 5 (Game Two)
- Location: Alverno Field – Milwaukee
- Records: CUW 16-6, 5-1 NACC; Alverno 7-15, 0-6 NACC
CUW 10, ALVERNO 0 (Game 1)
- The Falcons bats came ready to roll with a three-run first inning, followed by a five-run second. Following a double steal, which scored Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.), Carly Sobrilsky (Brookfield, Wis.) belted a two-run home run to complete a three-run first.
- In the second inning, Zazas drove in Allison Peters (Elk Grove, Ill.) with an RBI single to make the score 4-0. Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.) then launched a grand slam over the left field fence, putting the Falcons on top 8-0.
- Sobrilsky finished the game 2-for-2 with three RBIs and two runs scored to lead the Falcons offense in the opener. Zazas added two hits, including a double and scored twice, while Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) finished the opener with three hits.
- Emily Brekke (Waterford, Wis.) moved her record to 8-4 by throwing the first four innings. Brekke struck out eight batters and allowed two hits before handing the ball off to Kendra Little for the final three outs. Little (Hudson, Wis.) pitched a scoreless fifth to complete the 10-0 win.
CUW 9, ALVERNO 5 (GAME 2)
- The Falcons were looking at a potential split, trailing 5-0 after five innings in game two. From there, the bats got rolling again, highlighted by a seven-run sixth inning for a 9-5 comeback victory.
- In the seven-run sixth it was Molly O'Connell (New London, Wis.) who started the rally with a solo home run. Weinberger would make the score 5-2 when she scored on a throwing error and Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) brought the Falcons within a run with a two-RBI double.
- Sharon scored the tying run in the sixth, coming home on a passed ball before Sara Rosenow (Kimberly, Wis.) drove in Holsten to give the Falcons their first lead of the game. Becky Bonnin (Kenosha, Wis.) completed the rally with an RBI single, plating Rosenow.
- The Falcons would add a pair of insurance runs in the top of the seventh as Holsten roped her second two-RBI double of the game, this time plating Sharon and Weinberger.
- Amy Kornowski (Hartland, Wis.) picked up her second win of the season by throwing the fifth inning. She allowed one run in the frame, which was in relief of O'Connell. O'Connell went four innings, surrendering four runs, three earned. She struck out two.
- Brekke picked up her fourth save of the season with two scoreless innings of work. She gave up a pair of hits and struck out one.
- The Falcons will face MSOE in a crucial NACC doubleheader tomorrow at home. The Raiders, who have won 11 straight games, are 6-0 in the NACC while the Falcons counter with a 5-1 league mark. First pitch from the CUW Softball Field is set for noon.