MILWAUKEE – The Concordia University Wisconsin Softball team took the opening game of a NACC doubleheader at MSOE Tuesday, but settled for a split with a game two setback. The Falcons took the opener, 6-2, before falling in game two, 12-4, in six innings.
- Final Scores: Concordia Wisconsin 6, MSOE 2 (Game 1); MSOE 12, Concordia Wisconsin 4 (F/6 – Game 2)
- Location: MSOE Athletic Field – Milwaukee
- Records: Concordia Wisconsin 24-12, 12-6 NACC; MSOE 12-16, 8-10 NACC
GAME ONE HIGHLIGHTS
- Freshman Maddie Zazas (Mundelein, Ill.) paced the Falcons in the opener with three hits, including a leadoff home run. She added a triple in the four-run win. Freshman Becky Bonnin (Kenosha, Wis.) had a strong game as well, going 1-for-2 with three RBI.
- After trading runs on home runs in the first, the Raiders took a 2-1 lead in the bottom of the fourth with another solo blast. CUW would respond with two runs in the fifth and added three insurance runs in the sixth.
- Senior Melissa Perkins (Park Forest, Ill.) picked up her 14th win of the season with a complete game effort. She scattered seven hits, allowing two earned, while striking out one.
- Bonnin had the big hit in the fifth inning, delivering a two-run single which gave the Falcons a 3-2 lead. Junior Lexi Holsten (Oshkosh, Wis.) added a two-RBI double in the seventh, while Bonnin drove in her third run of the game with a groundout.
- Sophomore Christine Sharon (Cornell, Mich.) added two hits for the Falcons and scored twice in the win.
GAME TWO HIGHLIGHTS
- The Falcons led 4-3 going into the bottom of the fourth, but MSOE exploded for seven runs, taking a 10-4 lead. The Raiders would add two more in the sixth, ending game two via the eight-run rule.
- Zazas had two doubles in the nightcap, finishing the day with five hits. Freshman Delaney O'Keefe (Muskego, Wis.) paced the Falcons with three hits in game two, while sophomores Deidra Weinberger (Mayville, Wis.) and Jamie Reiser (Ingleside, Ill.) added a pair of hits. Reiser also doubled for CUW.
- The Raiders hit three more home runs in the nightcap, two coming in a three-run first inning. The 3-5 hitters for MSOE did the most damage, driving in a total of seven runs, three coming from winning pitcher Caitlyn Moran.
- CUW visits Benedictine for a crucial NACC series Friday. The Falcons and Eagles are currently tied for third in the league standings, both supporting 12-6 records and both trailing second-seeded Dominican by just one game. First pitch is set for 3 p.m.